Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anxiety and breathing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

Just got back from my holiday to Amsterdam, but i've had something bothering me since just before i went, and wanted to see if anyone has experienced anything similar, and what treatment you got.

The day before i left, i suddenly (within about an hour/two) started feeling like i couldn't breathe properly- i felt like i was gonna have a panic attack, felt a bit dizzy etc- so i stayed the night at my friends, thinking 'ok.. i'll calm down, sleep; and i'll feel better in the morning'

But no such luck :(

I went on holiday, and have just continued to feel the same (feeling like my throat is tight, i can't get a 'full breath' on breathing out.. but minus the dizziness) It's worse when i don't have anything to concentrate on, and it is making me feel anxious, because i don't like it when i feel my breathing is interrupted.

I'm totally relaxed (apart from this) so.. could it be panic disorder? general anxiety?? I just can't think of any stressors :(

I've got a docs appt tomorrow, just need some reassurance lol

Comments

• Options
    i used to get this all the time, and still do when im stressed or worried about something, so it can be caused by anxiety. does it feel like when you take a deep breath in that it doesnt go all the way down and fill your lungs, so you take more breaths and they feel really shallow. the more you think about it the worse it gets, like you said if you concentrate on something else it gets better. my boyfriend always used to just say to me 'dont think about it' but its easier said than done isnt it!

i did go to the doctors about it a long time ago (in the last year of high school) she couldnt really recommend anything apart from breathing into a paper bag. which does sort of help sometimes because you can see it blowing up and deflating so it is a reminder that you are breathing enough air to keep you going :p and trying to do things like getting engrossed in a book or watching a film can help. if i ever feel it happening now i always just try saying to myself in my head 'you're fine, you're being silly, your breathing is fine, stop thinking about it' haha which sometimes help!

but yes getting the doctor to check it out could also be a good thing because one time i had it and it was because i had an infection in my windpipe! or something like that. :)
  • Options
    FireyFirenze- thanks, this is exactly it.. feeling like i can't get a 'good breath' ..and when i take a really deep breath in, it feels normal and good.

I've had this for a week now, so i'm hoping it's something physical, or.. if it is panic, that i can be prescribed something like beta-blockers because i def don't feel 'anxious' psychologically at all (I have in the past, and been prescribed valium, but not sure that would help here)

When you had the infection, did you have any other symptoms??
  • Options
    Ok so i went to the doc, he thinks it is anxiety and he's prescribed me some beta-blockers to help with the physical symptoms, but he's also ordered me a thyroid and anaemia blood test just to check- i'll keep you updated :)
  • Options
    do you think you need the beta blockers? seems quite serious but i guess if you're getting it all the time then its fair enough. i can usually get rid of mine by doing the things i said, getting interested in something, blowing into the paper bag, calming myself down, etc. have you tried any of those? :]

glad to hear you're getting it sorted anyway though cos i know its really horrible.
  • Options
    Yeh, thing is- i don't feel 'panicky' at all, i was really relaxed on holiday- except for this breathing thing bugging me >_< It really does feel like something physical! (it feels like i've got a bad cold and have a tight chest from asthma- but my breathing is actually fine, it's just a horrible feeling :(