Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bad circulation

is there any way of improving your circulation?

i've always had bad circulation. im ALWAYS cold. like now, im lying in bed with socks on (yes, im lying in bed but im feeling poorly so its allowed :p) and my feet are ice cold. my hands are really cold too. they always are!

my fella is always commenting on how cold i always feel when we are cuddling up and stuff at night. its always me wanting the heating on too. he's always too warm for it though. whats wrong with me? im always feeling the cold more than other people.

its not good really because my job involves me being outside most of the time now and its getting really cold now because its coming up to winter. this weekend i found myself physical shaking i was so cold yet everyone else was fine? i was proper getting laughed at, lol.

i need to toughen up! it doesn't matter how many layers i put on though, im still always cold underneath.

any tips?! lol.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have REALLY bad circulation! I am the coldest person ever, even in summer I could wear a jumper. My feet and hands are always cold and a bit blue :crying: We have this thing at work called a bair hugger that we use to keep patients warm...I always wish I could walk round with it on, it's like a massive plastic duvet with all hot air in :thumb:

Ginkgo Biloba is a good natural way of improving circulation, I've not tried it but have read about in health mags.

When your outside just make sure you wear thick socks and thick gloves (if you can).
  • Options
    I'm always hot and I think it's because I drink a lot of hot drinks. Do u drink any?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I'm always hot and I think it's because I drink a lot of hot drinks. Do u drink any?

i don't drink tea or coffee, no :no:
  • Options
    Well some people at work who don't drink hot drinks are always moaning they are cold. I drink a hot drink about every 1.5-2hrs and I'm always warm. If u don't like tea or coffee then try some hot vimto?
  • Options
    Layers! Tights under your trousers, vests under your shirt, thermal gloves, two pairs of socks. All that jazz.

As for circulation, no idea. I'm not sure I even believe in the idea of bad circulation - if your extremities weren't getting enough blood, wouldn't they fall off?!
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Layers! Tights under your trousers, vests under your shirt, thermal gloves, two pairs of socks. All that jazz.

As for circulation, no idea. I'm not sure I even believe in the idea of bad circulation - if your extremities weren't getting enough blood, wouldn't they fall off?!

No exactly, as long as you are getting enough blood flow then your extremities won't become peripherally shut down. It just means that some of the capillaries do not have enough blood flow or any blood at all causing the cold feeling and things like chilblanes.
  • Options
    is there any reason why some of your capillaries are not getting enough blood flow though?

i eat lots of healthy food and i am quite active.

it doesn't mean that theres something wrong does it? im assuming not but im just asking because you are a nurse :)
  • Options
    It all depends, it can be that thats just how your body is even if you are healthy and exercise. Things like diabetes can play a part in it especially if somebody is poorly controlled also medication for blood pressure may have an affect.
    There is a thing called Raynaud's which is when stress or change in temperature can interrupt the blood supply to things like your fingers and toes as well as nose and ears. It is something that people just have, other things can cause it but the majority of people just have it. Basically the skin turns white (or blue) and then goes bright red before getting pain and tingling sensation and numbness. I'm sure this is what I have as my fingers and toes get so sore and painful in the cold :crying:
  • Options
    :yes: I have that Raynaud's thing. My fingers go freakishly white at even the slightest dip in temperature, it actually looks quite horrible - it's sometimes a bit patchy, so like half my finger will be normal and half white like a dead person's. It's disgusting, and really uncomfortable!

I don't have a lot to suggest really (as another person who is always cold, especially my hands and feet - my boyfriend's the same as yours, whinging about how cold I am next to him in bed and getting too hot when I put the heating on - he calls me the Ice Queen). I've heard the same about gingko that piecesofme mentioned but not tried it - also isn't ginger meant to be good for circulation??
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    - also isn't ginger meant to be good for circulation??

And Garlic, its good for the heart and circulation :yes:
  • Options
    I was always absoutly freezing to death, I felt cold and people could feel that I was cold. The boyfriend always would ask if I'm dead. Turned out my thyroid was all out of whack. Now it is normal and I go from freezing to all sweaty and hot like I'm going thru menapose :p
  • Options
    I always have cold hands and feet too. it is not nice. drinking hot drinks doesn't really work I find- I'm warm for about two minutes then back to freezing! it has got to the stage where my lips go purple ridiculously easily too :(

maybe i shall eat loads of garlic, that will keep the boyfriend happy ha ha.