Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cold callers - can they keep calling after youve told them not to?

I keep getting phone calls from a survey company. i think its called british lifestyles, but im not sure as the guy is heavily accented.
They want me to do some sort of survey.
They called three times yesterday. the first two times I put the phone down as he didnt speak quick enough so I knew it was going to be one of thiose sort of calls. Then he called again and my mum answered and told them very clearly to take my number off their list as i wasnt interested in doing the survey.
Today they call again. I told them I wasnt interested in doing their survey. He carries on talking. I tell him to stop calling me and to take my name off their list.
He says "no no no, we cant do that im afraid". i said then this is harrassment and Im going to report you. he laughs, and I put the phone down

What can i do if they keep calling
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Under the Data Protection act, you have the right to know how they got your number and you can request, in writing, all the information they hold on you.

You can also request them (not sure if it's in writing, but might be) to be removed from their database. This is a legal requirement as ultimately in the eyes of the law, you are seen as the owner of any information about yourself that a company holds.

If they refuse, they are in contravention of the DPA.

Do you know who it is that's calling you?
  • Options
    british lifestyle survey
  • Options
    Doing a bit of digging on the web reveals that this might be slightly less than legit. According to other peoples' experiences, they've asked for names, personal details and even bank details over the phone so chances are they might not give two hoots about the DPA...
  • Options
    i made a complaint to the TPA because im not supposed to get marketing calls and ive had this response
    Dear Ms S******

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the call you received from a company conducting Market Research.

The Telephone Preference Service aims to stop "direct marketing" calls and is unable to stop calls from a company conducting Market Research since they are asking for opinions rather than selling their products or services. If you want to stop these calls or any other non-direct marketing calls, you will need to contact the companies that make them directly. I am therefore unable to investigate this particular complaint.

I trust that the above is of help to you
  • Options
    Yep, TPS always has an excuse. I'm surprised cold callers even care whether you're signed up with them or not.
  • Options
    Last time I got cold calls I just left the phone connected but without my ear to it. They soon get the message when you waste their time and money.
  • Options
    That company have been alledged to try and collect bank and personal details off people. So if they are up to that, they wont care about TPS.
  • Options
    they havent called back again today. Lets hope they got the message

The other thing i told them before i put the phone down was " youre wasting your time, I will NEVER do your survey" so maybe they did get the message after all.

Its just lucky really that im the sort of person who doesnt get too freaked out by stuff like this, because I imagine it wouldnt be very nice for some old dear
  • Options
    Of course, another way is to give them the impression that youäre totally insane. A good way to do this is to get a cereal box and read out the ingredients in a monotonal voice, without pausing. They get the message eventually.
  • Options
    If they still want to ring back, they will. If fuck of and dont call again doesnt work, how would cereal literature work?
  • Options
    Because everyone answers the phone thats right next to their computer :P
  • Options
    I just put them on hold and usually that sorts them out. To be fair though that's probably the annoying shite greensleeves type music that is played when hold is put on :thumb:

I don't mind people cold calling usually, it's only their job after all but what does annoy me is the rude bastards who either talk over you, insist that you "must" buy from them or are just plain ignorant. One girl rang, asked for the owner of the property and when i told her he was in a meeting she got all rancid on me and rude, so i just put her on hold. She'd gone by the time i picked the phone up. :lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote: »
    That company have been alledged to try and collect bank and personal details off people. So if they are up to that, they wont care about TPS.
    If it's like that, isn't this illegal? Could the police become involved?
  • Options
    But they are probably calling from abroad, my phone tells me if I am getting a international call so I normally just ignore it.