Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Something fishy going on?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so ive got this friend, shes ace, we get on really well, and ever since i first met her 5 years ago, shes always had a distinctive smell... its not pleasant....
im guessing its down to lack of personal hygiene...
the thing is, im now in college with her full time.. and were going on holiday... i dont think i can bare it...
she does smell really bad, and i know she showers daily etc, but i feel sorry for her too because i know people make fun...
any advice??

Comments

• Options
    If she washes regularly it could be something medical. If she's aware of it maybe suggest she sees a doctor but make out it's for her benefit not yours. Don't embarras her and be gentle about it.
  • Options
    Be sensitive about it. Maybe she wears clothes for too long without washing them? If she washes often I can't think what else it would be. Otherwise it's medical, in which case you should support her as she tries to sort it out.

If she shuts down whenever you mention it and won't do anything about it herself, stop hanging out with her! There are plenty of nice people out there who'll be your friend and who don't smell. Why would you want to be with friends with someone who's such a loser that they won't help themselves!? I used to have a "friend" who never washed his bloody hair! It was gross. I tried to bring it to his attention in private and in as roundabout way as I could, but he'd just go stone-faced and walk away without a word. He was a lost cause so I gave up on him. He'd given up on himself so what else could I do? It's a shame but at the end of the day, who wants to be friends with such people?
  • Options
    If she shuts down whenever you mention it and won't do anything about it herself, stop hanging out with her! There are plenty of nice people out there who'll be your friend and who don't smell. Why would you want to be with friends with someone who's such a loser that they won't help themselves!? I used to have a "friend" who never washed his bloody hair! It was gross. I tried to bring it to his attention in private and in as roundabout way as I could, but he'd just go stone-faced and walk away without a word. He was a lost cause so I gave up on him. He'd given up on himself so what else could I do? It's a shame but at the end of the day, who wants to be friends with such people?

Hey hey hey thats a bit harsh! This friend has done anything wrong. Maybe they dont want to acknowledge the problem or do anything about it but as a friend you should still be supportive about what they decide to do. Not being friends with them because of it is just uncalled for
  • Options

You can't just dump a friend because she smells some!
    I don't think there's any way of really skirting round it in a conversation..just bring it up gently so. I used to have a roomate that never EVER washed anything, her clothes and she never showered, it was hideous. Anyway, we just sat down with her and told her that she was smelling so bad we wouldn't be able to share with her if she didn't wash her clothes and stuff more. She got the message and all was fine.
  • Options
    Yea, god greendragon that is out. Seriously, it's what's on the inside that counts.
    X