Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GHD's and USA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can you use GHD's in America?

I am going to Las Vegas on the 31st this month and a friend at work told me they don't work there!! She went last year and her's didn't work even with an adaptor...something to do with the wattage or something technical :crazyeyes

I am all dissapointed now. I need to straighten my hair, I can't just wash and blow dry or I do look like Tina Turner (with extra frizz!), especially if it's humid :crying:

I'm going to have to buy some that will work to take with me, I don't want rubbish holiday hair!

Comments

• Options
    Mines worked fine in Florida
  • Options
    I took mine with me to the States over the summer.

They sort of worked, but they didn't get anything like as hot as they do at home. I could tell, apart from the fact that they weren't straightening my hair as well, because the little LED didn't really flash like it does at home - when they are really hot, the flash is quite slow.
  • Options
    its a bit weird with ghds in america i think cos when i was working at a summer camp in new hampshire they didnt work at all in some parts of it. iv been to quite a few other places in the US and they worked in all of those, but they're a bit crap really they dont get as hot as they do here so they do a pretty crap job. i ended up buying some cheap american straighteners just to use while i was there and they were much better. then again when i went it was a couple of years ago and the exchange rate was really good so i basically got them for half price from walmart :) so i wasnt spending too much on them. x
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I took mine with me to the States over the summer.

They sort of worked, but they didn't get anything like as hot as they do at home. I could tell, apart from the fact that they weren't straightening my hair as well, because the little LED didn't really flash like it does at home - when they are really hot, the flash is quite slow.

:yes: Same for me, I don't bother taking them to the states with me now.
  • Options
    Mines worked fine in Florida

The girl who I was talking to said exactly the same, worked in Florida but not in Las Vegas...stupid Las Vegas :impissed:

I shall investigate but will prob buy some there!

Ta everyone!
  • Options
    i would possibly invest in a pair of gas ones so that you can use them both in the states and here when you've not got easy access to a plug point like at a festival or something - otherwise you wont' be able to use any straighteners that you buy over here as they will just blow up as we are on a higher voltage