Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dental question - cost of a crown

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a private dentist, and she's nice in the sense she gives me 50% off 'basic' things like check ups and fillings. Problem is, I broke a tooth at the back of my mouth on holiday, and she's tried to fill it but said although the filling will hold, eventually I'm going to want a crown on it. I asked the receptionist of their typical prices and they go from £350 at the cheap end to £485 at the expensive end. A lot of money!

I see the NHS says that for NHS dentists there are three bands, and the price goes up to £198.00 for crowns. (http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_096610.pdf)

Also there is expenses exempt forms which I may be able to apply to, being a student. But one of the problems is since my dentist is private, I don't know how easy or possible that will be (that the NHS will pay for part of my treatment). I don't relish the thought of having to stick myself on a waiting list for an NHS dentists as there are bad shortages, and anyway my current dentist is actually really good, knows my name and my teeth etc.

So being poor (well, reasonably so - that I couldn't splash the ~£400 out for a crown anyway) are there any ways to get money off *private* dental treatment? Or will it just be a case of saving up?

Comments

• Options
    i would have an ask around NHS dentists in your area, as you might find there isnt as much of a shortage as you think. Theres no shortage in my area for instance
  • Options
    I might see if I can get this one thing on the NHS then, but stay with regular dentist for everything else...
  • Options
    There's no way of getting money off private dental treatment - you're only option is to look at BUPA type dental insurance so at least you have a regular predictable cost that then covers major work.

Ring up your PCT and they'll get you a NHS dentist.