Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tinned vegetables

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats everyones opinion on tinned vegetables? Better or worse than fresh?

I cant buy frozen as i have zero freezer space, only just enough for a few chicken breasts.

Compared to fresh is tinned, cheaper, tastier, as nutritious?

Comments

• Options
    Most tinned veg is crap with the exception of:

Sweetcorn, beans/pulses and mushy peas
  • Options
    I actually quite like it in a council estate comfort food kind of way.
    I like tinned peas and tinned sweetcorn
  • Options
    Hmm yea i had tinned peas and runner beans once and they were a bit bleh. Just looking for a way to eat more healthily since i cant now just chuck a handful of frozen peas at whatever im cooking.

Also, how long does things like lasagne, shepards pie, soup etc last in the fridge? Theyre difficult to make for just one person when i cant freeze them but im getting sick of rice and pasta meals
  • Options
    Cous cous is good to have in your cupboards when you're sick of rice. Also healthier I believe. When it comes to making pies, lasagne etc. Why not just get a mini casserole dish that serves for just one. So you're only cooking the ingredients you need and not letting any go to waste.

As for tinned veg. Not a huge fan of it myself. I would only go as far as having things like peas, sweetcorn and beans. I prefer to get them fresh.

To avoid letting anything go to waste, I try to plan what I'm going to make for dinner a couple days in advance so all fresh food gets used up before it goes off.
  • Options
    I don't mind tinned tomatoes and pulses, but thats really about all the tinned stuff i buy. As for its nutritional value, something in the production depletes most of the nutritional value (apart from with pulses), so i've been told anyways
  • Options
    i was pretty sure, as long as they haven't got excessive salt content, they are good enough for you to count as a portion of fruit/veg

apparently tomatos have more lycopene (sp?) tinned than fresh, and carrots have more of some kind of phytochemical
  • Options
    In holland all I could find to buy tinned veg wise was those REALLY sugery ones. Blah! I don't mind tinned sweetcorn though, but everything is better un-tinned in my opinions.
    X
  • Options
    Tinned veg is OK, I like tinned sweetcorn and tinned peas, and those tins with the tiny little carrots in with peas. Frozen veg is :yuck: I buy mainly fresh veg like carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and tinned peas and sweetcorn, although I use frozen peas and sweetcorn when making pasta dishes etc, they are OK it's the frozen brocoli and cauliflower that is usually :yuck:
  • Options
    Sweetcorn's ok. Never had mushy peas. Tinned tomatoes are a God send. Used to eat those small, tinned carrots. That's about it.

Frozen peas are ok, almost like fresh though i dont buy fresh coz theyre too fucking expensive. Frozen broad beans aren't too bad.
  • Options
    Fresh veg seems to be anything but these days.
    It's all iradiated and is months old.
    As soon as you get it home it starts to rot really fast.
    I'm into cooking and have been for years.
    Veg that used to keep for weeks ...doesn't ...thats a bad sign.
  • Options
    I think some vegetables are more suited to being in tins than others. Stuff you may normally have to soak, like most beans and chickpeas, work well in tins - IMO.

Mushrooms in a tin though... :yuck:
  • Options
    Fresh veg seems to be anything but these days.
    It's all iradiated and is months old.
    As soon as you get it home it starts to rot really fast.
    I'm into cooking and have been for years.
    Veg that used to keep for weeks ...doesn't ...thats a bad sign.

I don't ever seem to have this problem, I just go to tesco's and the vegetables I buy last plenty of time for me. I don't need it to last more than a week though because I go shopping that often and wouldn't have room to store anymore than that.

The only things I'd buy canned are sweetcorn and beans/pulses.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Tinned tomatoes are excellent for cooking. Sometimes I'll stew them on their own for a bit and have them on toadt. :yum:

Tinned peas are jank, prefer frozen. Tinned sweetcorn is fine.Tinned carrots and potatoes are OK but definately prefer fresh.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Tinned tomatoes are excellent for cooking. Sometimes I'll stew them on their own for a bit and have them on toadt. :yum:

Tinned peas are jank, prefer frozen. Tinned sweetcorn is fine.Tinned carrots and potatoes are OK but definately prefer fresh.
    mmmm, tomatoes on toad :yum::D
  • Options
    Aaah think i'm just gonna go for buying fresh, its the only option i have really. I use tinned tomatoes quite often and tinned sweetcorn is yummy as well
  • Options
    Fresh is almost always cheaper (individually, little different if you are going to buy a dozen different vegis for a soup when you can buy them all together in a freezer bag) but for cooking I'll take the convience of the can or frozen for not having to cut, chop, depod and whatever else needs to go into it... same goes for some fruit. I will never chunk my own pineapple, I am far too lazy :p Plus some fresh vegis, namely corn, you can't even get for the majority of the year.
  • Options
    he nutritional differences between fresh and frozen/tinned vegetables

What I've learned via different classes is that the fresher the better... cooking destroys vitamins, especially water soluble vitamins - vitamin C and B. However, I would suspect that fat-soluble vitamins are a little more resilient to heat.

So the hierarchy is Fresh, then frozen (supposedly the frozen vegetables are packed immediately after picking... or close to that time) and lastly canned. Canned foods are cooked in the can (which destroys some of the vitamins... when you heat up the veg, you're cooking again.)
    cheers
  • Options
    two things advantage for tinned foods:
    1. easy to carry
    2.can be consumed anytime before expiry.