Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

driving through a red light

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
i think i may have drove through a red light tonight :nervous:

i didn't mean to. the roads were just really confused. there were lots of different traffic lights and argggh. it was a genuine mistake. it was on a major junction next to mancunian way and mehhhhh :( im new to driving and i just got confused.

really worried now. i don't think there was a camera on top of the traffic light but if there was, how soon will i hear something? would the camera have flashed? i never saw anything flash.

really can't afford to go getting myself points on my licence because of the job ive got now.

advice please.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It wouldn't flash in that circumstance I don't think. You'll get notice within 14 days if anything does come of it.

Have a look at this link for FAQs about it:

Is driving part of your work? I know some people that it is, yet got points and are still fine, as long as you declare them. If you don't you'll probably get a harsher punishment from your employer. Try not to worry too much, a lot of people have some points on their lisence!
  • Options
    i work for the police though.

im not worried about losing my job now. im just worried about it affecting any future career prospects which it can.

is there any way of finding out where there are red light cameras? i dont think there was a camera but i wanna know now.
  • Options
    You could drive past again and have a look?
  • Options
    yeah, well, i'll be driving past again tomorrow. thing is, it was so dark and theres SO many traffic lights at this particular junction, i won't even know which one to look at. plus, its such a busy junction, i can't really look properly without taking my eyes off the road. i might park around the corner tomorrow and have a walk around.

just feel really stupid. im trying to be a really safe driver (ive only been driving on my own a few days) and i do something lame like that. i dont even know if the traffic light was for the lane i was in. there was lots of different ones. really need to get used to my route :(
  • Options
    http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/NWGM/index.html

mmmm. according to this website (im not sure how reliable it is) there isn't a speed/red light camera where i *think* i may have gone through a red light.

bah. will have a proper look tomorrow.

if someone saw me do it and i was in a wrong (because i still don't know if i was or i wasn't!), could they report me for it or would it go nowhere because there would be no proof?

i think i might have been ok driving through the light i did but i don't know. i will have to look at them properly tomorrow. bah. feel like a proper idiot.
  • Options
    14 days + post Given the state of Royal Fail, I'd say if you've heard nothing in 18 days, nothing will come of it.

It's not a case of getting used to your route, it's a case of getting used to processing a vast amount of information whilst controlling the car. The more you drive, the more natural the driving part becomes, and you'll have an easier time of it as you just need to pay attention as to what it going on around you, rather than devoting a good portion of your brain to thinking about steering, gears, braking, mirrors, etc.

It gets easier with practice. There's a good reason why I did 100+ miles each night for the first 2 weeks after I passed... ;)
  • Options
    well, i can't afford that in petrol plus if i'm not finishing work till 11pm-12am at night :p

i really hope it does get easier with practice. i feel super shite after doing that. if i did go through something i shouldn't have done, it really was a genuine mistake. if it was a red light for me, i'm just so lucky it was quiet and nobody was driving about.

what made matters worse is that i thought i'd be ok driving with my police boots on. they are heavy and well, as i learnt tonight, i can't drive in them whatsoever. i stalled twice whilst driving to get out of the car park and my colleagues saw me. made a right tit out of myself :( managed to stall on the way home too. i never stall yet did tonight as soon as people were watching me and i wore those stupid boots. just feel like a tit and it sounds stupid but im dreading going into work tomorrow because im so embarassed. i stalled twice in a row!

i mean don't get me wrong, im learning from all my mistakes but its just all getting me down. im not used to driving. its been 22 months since i passed my test and this is the first time ive driven on my own since. im just really nervous.
  • Options
    Just try not to worry about it, its too late to change anything now anyway. Odds are there was no camera and nobody reported you, people jump red lights all the time both accidentally and on purpose, if everyone got caught there would be hardly any cars on the road!
  • Options
    Even if you have been flashed, you don't need to disclose minor driving offences to your work.

They have a maximum of 14 days to send you a notice.
  • Options
    I used to run reds with camera's on top all the bloody time, it sounds realy stupid but they had the lights on the main road through town (an A road) on red all the time and i would be driving home at 4am so I just drove through them.

The camera's are only really there to monitor traffic so I don't imagine they will catch you.
  • Options
    If it were a signal camera, there would be signs and there would be a big, obvious, camera, not just the little ones that manage the lights. I think you can just chalk this down to experience.
  • Options
    i hope i can chalk it all down to experience.

everything i do teaches me a major lesson and i don't do it again i can tell you that.

argh. its true when they say that you don't actually learn to drive when you have lessons. its only when you actually go out driving yourself...
  • Options
    I just realised the link I put in my reply didn't come up. It's http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/RunningaARedLight.html if you want to have a look. Or I guess it may have been deleted? Whoops
  • Options
    highly doubt anyone will report you, unless it looked like you were driving dangerously or something which again, i doubt.
    i went through a red light the other week - one of those temporary traffic light things - so no camera but a police van was waiting to come through the other side and beeped his horn, but that was it. think he realised it was actually a genuine mistake and let it go.
  • Options
    I did it once by mistake. the lighrs are over a hill and just changed to red but i couldnt stop as a car was so far up my arse so had to go through on "pink". It was late so no traffic thankfully though it had a little camera on top but not heard anything and it was ages ago!

Just take it as one of those things
  • Options
    I was crossing a road last week, the traffic lights went red and the green man came on and the little bleep bleep sound, as I was crossing some impatient twat put his foot down and drove right through the red light :banghead: He narrowly missed knocking me over, he literally stopped for afew seconds then decided he didn't want to wait any more! I looked for a camera and there was one on top of the light, so I really hope he got caught!

Not all lights have cameras and sometimes I think they are just put there for affect. I've worried before that I've gone through a red light where it's been a really confusing road before but thankfully I've never had anything through the post!
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I was crossing a road last week, the traffic lights went red and the green man came on and the little bleep bleep sound, as I was crossing some impatient twat put his foot down and drove right through the red light :banghead: He narrowly missed knocking me over, he literally stopped for afew seconds then decided he didn't want to wait any more! I looked for a camera and there was one on top of the light, so I really hope he got caught!
    !

Oh god thats really bad! A car once did that when I was sat at lights and a woman and her two little kids and another girl was crossing, just missed them! I dont get people who intentionaly do this and knowingly go through red. I've had it when I was halfway across when the lights were on red and a van came speading down the road, could plainly see the lights and carried on going through at abut 45 on a 30 mph road. And had the cheek to look at me as if I was a stupid idiot for crossing!!
  • Options
    well, its not a mistake i made again tonight!!! lol.

i looked at the top of the traffic light i went through though and it did have a little black camera on the top of it facing me as i approached the lights. aren't the little black ones just sensors?

am i right in thinking that the actual red light cameras are the big grey boxes?

talking on knob head drivers, i was driving back on the motorway tonight and i was in the middle lane. the guy to the left of me overtook me, cut in front of me and went into the right lane. and then he just kept going left and right across the motorway. bloody boy racers!
  • Options
    well, its not a mistake i made again tonight!!! lol.

i looked at the top of the traffic light i went through though and it did have a little black camera on the top of it facing me as i approached the lights. aren't the little black ones just sensors?

Yep.
    am i right in thinking that the actual red light cameras are the big grey boxes?

Yeah they would be obvious.
    talking on knob head drivers, i was driving back on the motorway tonight and i was in the middle lane. the guy to the left of me overtook me, cut in front of me and went into the right lane. and then he just kept going left and right across the motorway. bloody boy racers!

I undertake people if they are sat in the middle lane. How long were you there for?
  • Options
    you shouldn't undertake people though.

i was only in the middle lane for a very short space of time. i am aware that you shouldn't hog it.
  • Options

i was only in the middle lane for a very short space of time. i am aware that you shouldn't hog it.

You shouldn't, but it's not illegal and does happen. It does sound though that the guy you are describing was deliberately being a cock, especially if he swung straight to the outside afterwards.
  • Options

Depends. To be honest, if someone is able to undertake, you should have moved into the adjacent lane.

I undertake. I've even undertaken useless prats who can't use a slip road, and sit there preventing traffic from getting on the road, leaving you at an angle where you're unable to see what's happening regarding traffic... I nip down the slip road on the inside of them... more-so on the bike, but I did it in the car recently too.
  • Options
    i was driving 70mph though AT the speed limit. he must have been doing about 90mph.
  • Options
    So?

You only use lanes two and three for overtaking, not to sit in them at a particular speed. Even if you're doing 100mph, ifthe inside lane is clear, you still use it... :)
  • Options
    i was literally in it for a minute though. i don't rush in and out of lanes. i wanted to give myself enough space between me and the lorry i had overtaken. the guy who overtook me was originally in the middle lane. he then pulled out in front of the lorry then in front of me. he was being a dick. i wasn't in the wrong.
  • Options
    Minute is too long. IMO, if you're not going to be overtaking the next vehicle within 15-20 seconds, you shouldn't be staying in that lane...
  • Options
    What you have to remember is that everyone else is basically trying to get to their destination 10 seconds faster than you are, so you get used to this kind of behaviour pretty quickly.
  • Options
    I ran a red light once, at a pedestrian crossing just coming off a roundabout. It's a blind corner, and by the time you turn into that road the lights are above your field of vision anyway, which is stupid. Needless to say, I haven't done it since.

Motorway driving can be scary, although I prefer motorway driving to driving around Bradford, that's for sure! I recently had some one cut me up on a slip road, if I hadn't slammed on (which then caused problems for the cars behind) he would've run me off the road - luckily it would've been into the barrier rather than onto the motorway.

Then there's the ones who join a 70mph moving motorway at 40mph, that is terrifying! :shocking:
  • Options
    Minute is too long. IMO, if you're not going to be overtaking the next vehicle within 15-20 seconds, you shouldn't be staying in that lane...

i think you're being a bit harsh, telling her she shouldnt be in the middle lane for ONE minute?! im sure it didnt cause too much trouble.
  • Options
    i think you're being a bit harsh, telling her she shouldnt be in the middle lane for ONE minute?! im sure it didnt cause too much trouble.

I know yeah, chill out!

I am one of them drivers you love to hate who drives in the middle lane...ahh well! :razz: