Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

scared of flying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pretty sure now that I am going to Ireland with my boyfriend for the Halloween weekend so thought I'd post this finally. I'm SO scared of flying. I've been on a plane once and it was when I was very little and I have no memory of it at all. I just don't want to freak out. Is there anything I can do? Should I go to the GP beforehand for some tranquilisers or something of that kind..? Aghh. It's not even a fixed fear really. It's just being that high and having that much space inbetween me and the ground. I'm not afraid of it crashing (though that wouldn't be good..) it is actually just being that high.

Luckily I know getting to Belfast will only take 1 or 2 hours. So I guess it is a good introduction to flying... :) But I'd rather not be sitting there crying hysterically for the duration of it. :eek:

thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    My mum is really scared of flying, she uses rescue remedy before flying which helps to calm her abit. At least it's only a short flight, better than doing a long-haul flight when you are nervous about it.
  • Options
    Yeah thank gawd for that! I just don't want to make a tit out of myself on the plane :( I've tried rescue remedy in the past for things and it didn't really help unfortunately.
  • Options
    You wont make a tit out of yourself, loads of people are scared of flying! I was once flying to Orlando (and I'm not exactly a fan of flying) and as we were taking off they were playing music. This song came on with the lyrics 'caught in a trap, no turning back...' , I was like is this for real! Totally inappropriate song to be playing during take off. Your doctor might be able to prescribe something or you might be able to get something over the counter. A stiff drink might help as well!
  • Options
    My ex inadvertantly made my hand bleed with her fingers nails during both take off and landing on the outward journey, and the return. She was nervous about flying and gripping my hand pretty darn hard.
  • Options
    im really scared of flying too (i never used to be but i am now :mad: ) and when i flew to new zealand this year (27 hours one way!!) i went to the doctors and he prescribed me some valium! in the end i didnt end up taking any because for some reason i was worried about the side effects. and in the end i think just knowing that i had something there to take in case i started crying and wanting to get off the plane on an 11 hour flight was sort of like peace of mind for me. :)

i promise you 1-2 hours will be absolutely fine. i always see it as, when you take off that takes around half an hour to get to the full height. then when you land they usually start descending (slowly!) around half an hour before they land for good. so all that time you are getting nearer and nearer to the ground which always makes me feel better. also thats like an hour off your actual, being really high in the air time. if that makes sense. x
  • Options
    yeah it's good you're starting off on a short flight. if you are really really worried then go to the docs before, but if i were you i'd just try it. it really will go quick, take some magazines to give you something to do.
  • Options

I think I will pop to my GP just to check. She seems really nice so far. Magazines are a good idea! Plus my boyfriend is understanding so won't mind finger marks on his wrists. Aghh
  • Options
    I hate flying aswell, but i'm fine with taking off and landing...its the middle bit i hate! :(
  • Options
    Flying didn't bother me once upon a time. But ever since that plane that got lost happened. It really really hit a nerve and I have been a nervous wreck getting on the place everytime and unfortunately I fly alot when going to Belfast to see my folks and friends.

I'll get on, but I'm never happy about it and my stomach goes into knots everytime. I don't mind the taking off or the landing it's the same as yourself. The part of just being thousands of feets up in the sky. And even though I know (Well pretty sure I'm safe) I still do not like it.

Usually what I do, is get a really good book and take my mp3 and try my very best to imagine myself being elsewhere.