Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homemade Stock

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i want to make my own stock for meat and chicken but i don't know where to start. Some recipes say use bones only, others meat only and others say use a combination. So which is best?

Also i know i should be putting carrot, onion and celery in, but what else should go in?

Aaaaand finally how long do they keep in the fridge and freezer?

Thank you for answers my pretties

PS please leave your own recipes to make my life easier :p

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Amira wrote: »
    Ok, so i want to make my own stock for meat and chicken but i don't know where to start. Some recipes say use bones only, others meat only and others say use a combination. So which is best?

Also i know i should be putting carrot, onion and celery in, but what else should go in?

Aaaaand finally how long do they keep in the fridge and freezer?

Thank you for answers my pretties

PS please leave your own recipes to make my life easier :p

Bones, bit's of fat, scraps of meat and blood. Chuck it all in with carrot, celery and onion or leek. If you've got a pressure cooker use that, makes the process a lot easier and quicker. Lasts ages in the freezer.

I can't imagine getting great stock from using lean bits of meat only.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    well, yes they do keep in freezer if u freeze it into ice cubes (i think anyway) fridge? Not a clue

umm, what my mum does is (for chicken stock) put the carcuss in once u've got most of the meat off, put in some veg like carrots and onions (not sure about onions, leaks etc then puts water in and reduces it for a bit then when its ready (not a clue when sorry)

hope thats a bit helpful
  • Options
    I've never done it but this is how my sister does it and it tastes pretty nice :)

For meat she uses the bones and puts them in a baking tray with 2 unpelled and halved onions and pops them in the oven until they are brown. She then puts them in a saucepan and fills it with water (aou half full'ish) and puts in things like carrotts, celery, peppercorns and bay leaves.

For chicken she uses the carcass puts it straight into a saucepan and adds pretty much the same as she would to the meat stock.

It lasts for ages if you freeze it too!