Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long story (including discussion of self-harm, may be triggering)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right. So I've been self-harming again and really miserable for ages and had to go and see a new doctor today. I got really worried about it but she was really good. She didn't put pressure on me to show her the wounds or faff around how often / how deep (which always annoys me as it's not necessarily correlated to how bad I feel) but she has suggested I take anti-depressants perpetually because therapy (around 8 years) hasn't 'cured' the problem and because of the way my family history is.

So I've agreed to take paroxetine (Seroxat) for a while, starting on 20mg and going up to 30 in a month. Does anyone else take anti-depressants long-term? Is it manageable?

She also seemed to be hinting that she thinks I'm bi-polar, which is a new one...

Comments

• Options
    might be worth asking for a re-assesment by a psychiatrist?

I've been taking anti-depressants since april, and although sometimes i question how well they are working, they are easy to manage and i don't really think about it half the time just pop a pill...
  • Options
    ummm..hi

ive being taking for anti deppressants for going on 3 years now im on alot of medication but it is quite easy to manage it took me a couple of weeks to get used to it if i remember correctly but as time goes on it does get easyer.....um i think ive spelt that wrong....oh well....i also self harm and go to a councilor mind you ive being going to a councilor since i was elevn.. so..yeh. :wave:
  • Options
    Hey Piccolo,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling miserable at the moment. But it is great to hear about your positive experience at your new Doctor's. A good Doctor that you can trust can make a whole lot of difference.

We know that you are used to Thesite and how it works here, but we wondered if you had read the fact sheet we have on antidepressants? It may have some information on there that can help answer your questions. It also has links to some stories from other young people and helplines that you could call.

If you feel you need your Doctor to clarify any hints she made about you having Bipolar - you could always go back and ask her? You may also find the page on mood swings useful? There is a link on there to the MDF - Bipolar Organisation - they have some really useful information about Bipolar if you wanted to find out more.

Keep posting and take care :)
  • Options
    My current anti-d's i've been on a year and a half now (but i'm on a withdrawl program) ..but i've been on some form of anti-d (with maybe upto a year break) since i was 16, so i guess that's long term!
    I feel, that as long as they are helping you manage the condition, then stay on them- if in any way you feel they are losing their effectiveness, then get them reviewed.

One thing that I'm a bit worried about is....when i come off this lot, what will my serotonin levels be like? will my body be able to regulate them? even my psych nurse couldn't tell me. I guess i'll find out!