Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self harm.. in other ways

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wanted to ask, anyone that has any physical disorder and also suffers from depression/self harm - do you ever use this is self harm?

I get low blood sugar a lot of the time, but when i'm feeling really down and crappy, i sometimes let myself get really dizzy/disorientated before i give in and eat. It's part curiosity (what would happen if i didn't eat? would my blood sugar stabilise?) and part... well it feels good to punish myself in this way, this alternative pain.

I haven't self harmed (cut) for 7 months now, but i'm worried it's just going to take different forms :(

Thing is, apart from a bit of work stress, i feel pretty good at the moment! i'm just confused as to why i feel this need still :(

Comments

• Options
    It's dangerous as you can go into a coma like state and not know what is going on around you or who people are because you're completely not with it. If you do this when alone and no one finds you, you could end up dead.
  • Options
    I guess so. I'd rather go from a physical illness than from a mental illness i guess.
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I guess so. I'd rather go from a physical illness than from a mental illness i guess.

Neither would be best :)
  • Options
    Woah thats dangerous, like squeal said, worst comes to worst, you could end up dead. :(
  • Options
    Well thankfully I don't think i have it that bad, because i can go to sleep when i feel low blood sugar-y and just feel tired the next morning, but the doctor didn't really explain much to me, he just said 'eat lots of bananas' hmmmm.
    If anyone else has any experiences, feel free to share??

and thanks guys :)
  • Options
    I dont really have much experiances, only when ive cut my wrists. I only used to do it a little bit, not too much, but when i had my misscarriage last year, i went really extreme with it, i didnt realise how serious it would be at the time, but as blood just carried on pouring out, i realised i had been stupid, i had to go to hospital to sort out my arm, and im kinda lucky that the scars have healed pretty well, but i wont be doing it again, i know now doing that wasnt the answer, but i just needed something to take my mind off the pain.
  • Options
    re

hey skakitty,

Like squeal has mentioned tampering with your blood sugar can be really dangerous and can lead to coma or death.

Maybe it would useful to look at the root of the urge to use this method as a type of self ham.

Frequently self harm is used as a coping strategy or release for something thats happened or something thats on your mind, so looking at your motivations,thoughts and feelings maybe worth exploring.

keep posting and let us know how your doing:wave:
  • Options
    Your levels of blood sugar and your mood are often fairly well linked. Low blood sugar and low mood often go hand-in-hand, and if you ate you'd feel better. If you're getting faint and depressed when it gets low you might want to ask your doctor if you have diabetes.
  • Options
    ... To be honest, this form of "self harm" is just as bad as any other. And probably more dangerous, as you can't control it as much. I think you should seek professional help if you can't stop yourself from this kind of self harm. It could be just as addictive as cutting or burning yourself.
    When people stop cutting, they often turn to other things (I turned to drink, and then started cutting again) as they are so used to causing themselves pain... But when it takes other forms it can be harder to notice. If you are strong enough to stop cutting, you can be strong enough to eat what you are supposed to :-)
    Good luck x
    C-A xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the advice- CA you are right, it is addictive to do it, to see how far i can push it, which is not a good thing.

Kermit- It tends to happen when i'm feeling low/stressed, and then i wait until i feel the first 'symptom'. In my reasoning (which i know is skewed) i think 'well, i'm not cutting, so i'm not feeling too bad/depressed, so why can't i deal with this minor stress? ...which leads to this, which, in my mind, is less harmful because i have more 'control' over it ie: i can eat, and it will go away.

I've never had a glucose fasting test done, because i guess i'm not considered a 'risk' because my sugar isn't high. My doctor just told me to eat a balanced diet, and bananas. I think it may be 'reactive hypoglycaemia' and i don't think it's that bad that i would pass out ( i haven't done yet)
  • Options
    I just wanted to ask, anyone that has any physical disorder and also suffers from depression/self harm - do you ever use this is self harm?
    Find a trusted friend to talk to. If a physical illness gives you such bad negative thoughts, its important you have someone to share your feelings and get the right words of support. The power of suicidal thoughts are hence rendered harmless- I had a couple of friends who self harmed
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    The power of suicidal thoughts are hence rendered harmless

Why would you assume that Skakitty is having suicidal thoughts? Self-harm doesn't automatically indicate that someone is feeling suicidal; infact more often than not self-harm is something which is used as a coping mechanism.
  • Options
    Thank G-A- I'm not actively suicidal right now- this is more of a punishment thing for (imagined) wrong doings, I think it's become a habit, a natural reaction to my perceived inability to deal with stress.
  • Options
    Thank G-A- I'm not actively suicidal right now- this is more of a punishment thing for (imagined) wrong doings, I think it's become a habit, a natural reaction to my perceived inability to deal with stress.
    I used to be like that - I used to punish myself for things that I knew weren't my fault. I was never really suicidal, even at my very worst. I still get the craving to do it when I'm angry or upset but it's a lot less now. If you need to chat about it let me know.
  • Options
    Thanks Franki :) Yeh... i have a lot of trouble getting angry at anything/anyone else, and so i tend to take this out on myself, and blame myself for things i *know* i don't have control over... but *think* i should. I've had a course of CBT, which has helped a lot with not getting angry at myself for the smaller things, but the large stressors are still an issue.

(for example, this week has been that i was asked to do overtime at work, which was fine, but i was sooo tired after doing 1 hour overtime, but my colleagues were doing 2 hours, and working through their lunchbreak... so i got angry with myself that i needed a break. Logically- i know it doesn't make sense- i know my own body, and i need at least a 30min break from screen-staring- but my illogical side says 'well, if they can do it- why can't you??? you are weak etc etc' *sigh* It's hard to talk to that side of my brain, hence the punishment thing. :/