Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Proper word for the phenomean when your legs/hands sleep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Basically my native language is not english and that's why i am asking this questions, and i have to "google" about it, and know exactly what it is. But problem is i dont know what is exact word for it in English.

Though i have this problem from many years but now i wanted to fix it or at-least know what it is? So what you say to this phenomena when your legs/hands sleep while you are sitting working/reading.

Comments

• Options
    Erm... I just say my arms asleep or dead.... Dunno what the proper word is
    :-P
    C-A x
  • Options
    Yup, asleep or numb
  • Options
    ermm yeah, if i get up quickly and my leg is like that I'll usually say "ahhh my leg went to sleep" or "eek i've got a dead leg"

:P
  • Options
    Hi,

Basically my native language is not english and that's why i am asking this questions, and i have to "google" about it, and know exactly what it is. But problem is i dont know what is exact word for it in English.

Though i have this problem from many years but now i wanted to fix it or at-least know what it is? So what you say to this phenomena when your legs/hands sleep while you are sitting working/reading.

Do you mean like 'pins and needles' when the limb goes 'dead'? This is called paresthesia.
  • Options
    I wake up with a 'dead' hand when my head has been positioned on it during sleep.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Do you mean like 'pins and needles' when the limb goes 'dead'? This is called paresthesia.

It actually has a name?! wow haha
    C-A x
  • Options
    It actually has a name?! wow haha
    C-A x
    Thanks everyone, i got the name, its called "numbness"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, i got the name, its called "numbness"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You fooled us! I thought you were looking for the medical term. :)