Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To cover scars...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heyy,
I was just wondering if there is any foundation that's good for covering self harm scars (they are on both my arms, neck, face and legs)
I know there is a thing called dermablend, but no where near me sells it- and I don't wanna get it online because I wont know the shade I need.

So, is there anything else?
C-A x

Comments

• Options
    have you tried bio oil? I know's it's not foundation but could help
  • Options
    See... I don't want to get rid of my scars. But my mum says I have to hide them.
    C-A x
  • Options
    See... I don't want to get rid of my scars. But my mum says I have to hide them.
    C-A x

Why dont you want to get rid of them? surely thats good.
  • Options
    I can't... they are like, a part of me. It's hard to explain, but without them I wouldn't feel myself. I haven't stopped self harm, I'm not ready to. And I'm not ready to get rid of who I am.
    C-A x
  • Options
    Self harm isn't really who you are imo, it's something you inflict on yourself.

Your personality defines who you are, not what you do. Why cover them up if you don't want to get rid of them?
  • Options
    I have to cover them, my mum said.
    C-A x
  • Options
    I have to say i agree with this somewhat, I have kinda given up covering my scars, they do represent a part of me that has 'survived' a difficult time
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I have to say i agree with this somewhat, I have kinda given up covering my scars, they do represent a part of me that has 'survived' a difficult time
    I've given up in certain situations and mine are very faded now anyway, but sometimes I still cover them. Especially at work, as I work in retail.

The Red Cross apparently offer camouflage makeup support for free, you can get a referral from your GP.
  • Options
    oohh thanks I'll look into that... I've got some powder stuff, it's Barry M I think, that covers the fading ones.
    C-A x
  • Options
    Put lots of liquid foundation on, and then some white slightly shiny powder eyeshadow or foundation on over the top. Admittedly it won't look right on your face, but it'll cover up ones that people don't look at, so unless they know they won't notice.
    Sorry it isn't that helpful but it's better than nothing and it's what I do if I have to.
    Gx
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :-) I've brought some foundation (natural collections) just cheep stuff that works okay on my face... It doesn't really hide the red/purple scars on my arms, but I can always put them down to my cat I guess...
    C-A x
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Put lots of liquid foundation on, and then some white slightly shiny powder eyeshadow or foundation on over the top. Admittedly it won't look right on your face, but it'll cover up ones that people don't look at, so unless they know they won't notice.
    Sorry it isn't that helpful but it's better than nothing and it's what I do if I have to.
    Gx
    I've found that unless people are looking they don't notice anyway.

Foundation on your arms that is designed for your face will be obvious, because the skin is different. And lots of foundation ANYWHERE will be VERY obvious, especially with shiny stuff over it because...ya know...your skin isn't shiny. It might work on your face, but your arms? No.

C-A - I understand not wanting to get rid of them, I don't want mine to disappear completely either, but bio-oil will help to reduce them to a point where you can still see them but nobody else will really be able to tell without really looking. Also, I'm not sure if dermablend will cover fresh cuts very well.
  • Options
    I'm not a worried about the fresh cuts, cos I can cover them with band aids and stuff.....
    I've got thousands of scars that are pretty noticeable.
    I just think bio-oil = no scars. Even if it doesn't I just don't wanna risk them.... eeekkk so hard to explain!!
    C-A x
  • Options
    Bio Oil gets rid of the scars gradually, it would take a long, long time for them to disappear completely and if they are really bad I don't think it would get rid of them totally anyway.
  • Options
    Bio oil and any other product is a load. 90% of my scars are as protruding and visible as they day they came... some up to 10 years old. I've tried damn near everything. They will fade or they won't no matter what product you put on it, depends on your skin. I've read a few studies regarding mederma or bio oil or vitamin e and they have no better effect than using vasoline... and they were all for new scars... dear god if you have an old one that isn't going away.

And no, I don't know this scientifically :p Just what I've read and heard from my doctor. I'm sure it will work for some, I'm just an angry girl as nothing but cosmetic procedures are going to work for me.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I've found that unless people are looking they don't notice anyway.

:yes: I have loads of scars on my arms. No-one has ever said anything. (even when my had a look at my arms earlier because of some scratches from the dog)
  • Options
    Ok, but why do so many people on this site seem to selfharm/have selfharmed?

I'm one of them, but it's just curiosity, why does TheSite bring in so many harmers?

Don't get annoyed

Gx
  • Options
    I think cos.... it's a subject that is good to talk about. That it helps to talk about.. and it is often something that comes with other problems too.

Also....... I have got some bio-oil (somewhere) and am considering using it on my legs.
    C-A x
  • Options

I'm one of them, but it's just curiosity, why does TheSite bring in so many harmers?

Don't get annoyed

Gx

Search engines I imagine.
  • Options

Don't get annoyed

Gx
    For the same reason there are a lot of threads about erectile dysfunction - it is a taboo subject in everyday life and a lot of people feel they cannot talk about it openly, so they seek out a way in which they can talk about it anonymously.

It's one of the most amazing things about sites like this.
  • Options
    People don't get judged on here for self harm and stuff, in everyday life, someone would be branded mental or 'emo' and ostracized for admitting to self harm to most people. (In most situations and with most people. NOT ALL by any means.)

Gx
  • Options
    Selfharm seems to be getting more common these days.
  • Options
    Selfharm seems to be getting more common these days.
    I think it's more that people are more aware that they aren't alone and are more willing to open up about it.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I think it's more that people are more aware that they aren't alone and are more willing to open up about it.

Thats nice.
  • Options
    If the scars have been there for a while and are kinda White bio oil does nothing they have to be new scars and only then it fades them.

I must admit no one has ever saw or said anything about mine. But then again I've hid them for about 3 years and only seem to just be comfortable with them now.
  • Options
    I have never tried to hide mine. Mine are mostly on my hands from hitting stuff so I could say I'd just gotten into a fight or something and nobody would question it.
    My arms aren't really that noticable so it's never been a problem.
    So my hiding methods are useless.
    I'm just quite concerned about how many people are actually doing it. Seems to be quite a common thing.
    Not judging at all because I did, and sometimes still do, do it.
    I just hope this problem can sort itself out soon.
    x Andy
  • Options
    Coverup stick can help cover up, funnily enough. It's usually thicker than foundation, and while not perfect does tend to take the distinctive edge of any marks. Teen stuff designed for bright red spots on faces type thing.

The other option are long sleeves, tights, bracelets or tubi grip, just buy a bigger size than you'd need for any support type purpose.
  • Options
    See, I normally wear long sleeves- and always wear tights. But then there's P.E to think about... and art (we can't wear jumpers)

I'll try cover up stick too... I've got some of that :-)
    C-A x
  • Options
    Andy Pandy wrote: »
    I'm just quite concerned about how many people are actually doing it. x Andy

:yes: it is very common but unfortunetly it is a subject either people know nothing about or don't want to know about.
  • Options
    :yes: it is very common but unfortunetly it is a subject either people know nothing about or don't want to know about.

Yeah I think so.
    And it's stereotyped as troubled kids or emos.
    Just some people have problems they find hard to deal with.
    That's a common misconception. And a rather annoying one.
    x Andy