Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Caution for raping a teenager, six years for the victim's revenge

Story.

Words fail me.

Recorder John Williams, you are an advocate of child sexual abuse. I hope you are treated as such by the British public.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :eek2:
  • Options
    Recorder John Williams, you are a complete and utter cunt.

That is all.
  • Options
    It was the police who cautioned the rapist, John Williams was sentencing a man for blackmail.
  • Options
    It was the police who cautioned the rapist, John Williams was sentencing a man for blackmail.

Doesn't stop Williams from being an utter cunt though.

I mean, some punishment (ie paying back what he took) then fine. 6 years in prison?
  • Options
    Would it be better if people had sentences commuted because of difficult circumstances? We all know that blackmail is illegal and carries a heavy punishment. Rather than go to the police, it seems Mark Phillips thought he would try to make some money out of it, and got caught out.

Though of course the abuser should be locked up as well, especially if he has essentially confessed in court, though I don't know what laws surround victims of blackmail, whether the evidence is allowed in court or whatever.
  • Options
    Extortion is a crime. Mark Phillips was found guilty of it. While sexual abuse of children is desperatley sad, it doesn't mean vigilante justice should be excused.
  • Options
    The sentencing is woefully disproportionate-why a decision was not made to prosecute this man I cannot imagine...
  • Options
    Extortion is a crime. Mark Phillips was found guilty of it. While sexual abuse of children is desperatley sad, it doesn't mean vigilante justice should be excused.

:yes: What he said...
  • Options
    The sentencing is woefully disproportionate-why a decision was not made to prosecute this man I cannot imagine...

I would imagine they took into account that it was mutual, the degree of sexual activity (I would assume something like mutual masturbation rather than buggery), that the victim didn't make a complaint (and indeed given he was extorting him would probably be unwilling to stand up in court) and that as he sounds like he's been financially ruined that he has already been punished.
  • Options
    I would imagine they took into account that it was mutual

Well one would hope so, but given that the word 'suggested' appeared here I wouldn't take any of the details you've listed as assumed in the judgement (unless the Beeb have just neglected to put in vital details of the decision).

Also, by the logic of holding to the law, one cannot take being financially ruined by criminal acts as a suitable form of punishment. The sentence still seems woefully disproportionate as well, prima facie...
  • Options
    Well one would hope so, but given that the word 'suggested' appeared here I wouldn't take any of the details you've listed as assumed in the judgement (unless the Beeb have just neglected to put in vital details of the decision).

Also, by the logic of holding to the law, one cannot take being financially ruined by criminal acts as a suitable form of punishment. The sentence still seems woefully disproportionate as well, prima facie...

They weren't reporting on that case, off which they probably don't have the details as it resulted in a caution and wouldn't have gone to court, but a blackmail case. Given that the police don't give cautions for violent rapes I would suspect there's much more to it than the thread title suggests...