Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Funny Memories

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you remember some of the funny things you thought as a child?

I remember watching a 'mums gone to iceland' advert and turning to my mum and saying 'how silly who's gonna go all the way to iceland for some food' and mum looking at me puzzled. I thought they meant the country!

I remember wondering how all clocks and watches told the same time, I thought somone on a giant dictaphone shouted NOW and then everyone would set their clocks and that's how they tell the same time.

I remember once swallowing a large chunk of apple and worrying that it would stretch the skin on my arms passing through (I thought the food we ate travelled all around our bodies!)

:D

Comments

• Options
    Eating coal. Nom nom nom :D
  • Options
    I remember wondering how letters fit down the pole of the letter box - I thought you posted your letter into the box and they travelled down into the ground and wizzed off to the correct address.
    And I thought that the reason you always put the stamp on the same side of letters was because otherwise the machines (underground, of course) that sent the letter wouldn't know where to send it because it could only registered the stamp on that side.
  • Options
    I used to think that the reason we had curtains at night time so that we couldnt see all the witches and ghosts and scary things flying around at night.

Also, once my brother came into my room with his hands closed like he was carrying a giant spider. Then he put his hands under the duvert where my feet were and pretended he put a spider under there. After that I'd always sleep curled up so the spider didnt get my feet.
  • Options
    I was so afraid that somebody would come and steal me when I was sleeping that I used to pack blankets all around me to pretend I was so fat that the kidnapper wouldn't be able to pick me up, so they wouldn't even try. :o
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I was so afraid that somebody would come and steal me when I was sleeping that I used to pack blankets all around me to pretend I was so fat that the kidnapper wouldn't be able to pick me up, so they wouldn't even try. :o

Haha aww thats too cute :angel:
  • Options
    i remember my next door neighbour who was about 6 telling me that they'd bought a 'tea maker' (i think he meant a kettle!) and i thought they had a cook who made their tea for them every night, i remember thinking they must have a lot of money to have their own personal chef, and i thought that for ages! haha.
  • Options
    Ahh, childhood memories. I remember when dad and me went out in the morning till noon so we could flew his model plane. I crashed it and dad beat the shit out of me. Good times. Or the times I helped my mum cooking as a kid and I thought I'd be of great help and season the dish. After this seasoning-session the dish was declared as bio endangering toxic waste. My mum beat me black and blue with a rolling pin. Ah, being young and carefree again :)
  • Options
    thinking that a plaster would cure anything
  • Options
    thinking that if i accidentally ate the seed in a apple that an apple tree would grow in my stomach, i actually was worried about it for a long time.

Oh, and that i thought babies were born through the mouth :D
  • Options
    I thought that a day had 12 hours, and that the other 12 hours of the day (night) was a 2nd day in its own right.

I was scared shitless of the kaliedoscope burn-out patterns that old 1980s TV sets did when I switched them off. It was so bad that it has manifested itself as a fear against modern TVs and monitors, even though they don't do it. It is part of my synaesthesia (the thing that makes me trip).
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I used to think people (like relatives I'd visit) were frozen in time when I wasn't around. It stands to reason: What's the point in them doing anything if I'm not there to see it? :p
    I remember being surprised when my mum told me they go on doing things, like we did.
  • Options
    My dad is still embarrassed at when I was reading the TV guide and told him that the "Formula 1 Grand Pricks" were going to be on later...
  • Options
    This is more freakish than funny but I like it :D

when I lived in my old house there was a window that if you stood underneath you wouldn't be able to see in, so it was quite high.

Every now and then I would be playing with my toys inside on the floor and mum would be facing away from the window in the arm chair. And I would look at the window and wave, and mum would be like "who are you waving at" and I would say "the man at the window".

Now this completely freaked mum out as she could see no one but I was addimant there was someone there. She would go on to say " no, emma there is no one there" to which I would reply " yes there is, the mans come to play!"

I used to do it a lot and would freak the hell out of people. But I was addimant that someone was there. It was always the same window, and I used to talk to him.

It's quite freaky!
  • Options
    thinking that if i accidentally ate the seed in a apple that an apple tree would grow in my stomach, i actually was worried about it for a long time.

Oh, and that i thought babies were born through the mouth :D
    This but I also thought that if I just planted Apple seeds, or basically any seed from a fruit, it would grow huge trees. I remember taking a corner of the garden and planting all kinds of seeds, you can tell I was devastated when nothing grew.

Just like "notanotherusername", I had a neighbor who lived opposite me and I used to think she was a witch. I would only see her at night, and one night I had some (I think) they were action men at the time, and they went missing from my room and I found them on her window sill on the side of her house the next day, and one inside. I remember climbing into her house and getting them but the house was empty, but I don't actually remember anything else. But I had a weird ass dream that night about that house, tons of crap happened in it. Like she really was a witch and I had to blow her up with bombs. That's how it ended, I always remember that dream haha. That's the only thing I actually really remember about my old house, I don't even know what the rooms looked like, apart from my bedroom (WWF wallpaper ^^) and a little closet I used to sit in on the hallway. And a huge spider on the window on the stairs day we moved to where I live now. It was huge!
  • Options
    I used to think clothes grew as you grew older.

also i thought bat man was real :(
  • Options
    Ooo, loads, I was a particularly guillable child.

My grandad had an answering machine, and having never seen it, I imagined it to be a robot which walked over and answered the phone for him when he wasn't there :p I was really excited when I was told we were going to get one and VERY disappointed that it was just a box with a tape in! :blush:

Also someone told me when I was about 7 that those trees/bushes that have big green leaves with red stems were red because when you weren't looking, they sucked your blood out. I avoided them for years.

One of my mum's friends says that her dad told her there were lots of different coloured sheep (as in red, green, blue etc, all the colours you might expect to see in jumpers :p )... apparently she didn't discover the truth until she was a teenager...
  • Options
    When I was a child I just thought babies just grew in your tummy without you having to do anything. Like luck, or chance, or whatever. I remember saying to my mum "I hope a baby grows in my tummy one day..."

I thought this too, and thought your dad was whoever your mum happened to be seeing at the time the baby started growing in her tummy!
  • Options
    I stole an egg from the refrigerator and put it in my pocket thinking it would hatch if I kept it warm. It cracked and I got told off.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I stole an egg from the refrigerator and put it in my pocket thinking it would hatch if I kept it warm. It cracked and I got told off.
    Aww.

I used to think that the sizes of clothes were dependant on the wearer's age. So, if I was 8 I'd be wearing clothes size 8, clothes size 35 were for people who were 35 and so on.

Also, I remember once when I was 4 or 5 I was playing at my grandma's couch and I found a pair of glasses that had fallen behind the cushion. I showed them to her and she said that those must be the glasses Electra lost when she visited her. Electra is one of my great aunts, but having never heard that name before (or I didn't remember), I imagined Electra to be a robot who had visited my grandma.

EDIT:
    My mum reminded me of another one. When I was little (again, about 4) she used to sing me a song that went like "...who's the lady that's going to take you". "Take you" meant "Marry you", of course, but I was afraid that some lady would come and take me away.
  • Options
    I once decided I was going to be a butterfly when I grew up... still have my heart set on it...
    C-A xx
  • Options
    My mum reminded me of another one. When I was little (again, about 4) she used to sing me a song that went like "...who's the lady that's going to take you". "Take you" meant "Marry you", of course, but I was afraid that some lady would come and take me away.

:lol: bless
  • Options
    I once asked my dad what a serial killer was and got told they went around murdering cornflakes. Was rather disappointed to discover (someone on here told me) that they went around hitting people on the head with sacks of rice krispies. :(:lol:
  • Options
    Aww the power puff girls *sighs* used to love that...
    C-A x
  • Options
    I thought "Chemical X" Was a real drug (Yes from power puff girls). Because i asked my dad and he said yes...

So silly me, in Yr 8 (When i was 13). In science i said, chemical X was a drug - it was well embaracing!

Ive almost done things like that so many times, giving answers to questions where I have just taken peoples words for it.
  • Options
    When I was a child I just thought babies just grew in your tummy without you having to do anything. Like luck, or chance, or whatever. I remember saying to my mum "I hope a baby grows in my tummy one day..."

Yep, I thought that too! That they just randomly started growing and there wasn't a thing you could do about it! At least my mum was off the hook for a couple of years, as I was desperate for a brother or sister, I would have given her a hard time if I had known the truth!!
  • Options
    At my first school every one thought the teachers lived there. Haha! I guess everyone does think that at some point though. Oh and my friends nine, and she's still got her heart set on meeting doctor who. bless her lickle cotton socks :-p
    C-A x
  • Options
    I used to think Mary Poppins was real! and if i didnt behave she'd come and sort me out....
  • Options

I laughed so hard at this I nearly inhaled my chocolate. I can totally imagine a teeny you doing it! Super cute :heart:

I grew up reading Famous Five books, and until I was about 10 I thought that smugglers were EVERYWHERE.
  • Options
    I used to think I could trick the Easter bunny by getting up really early and find all the hidden eggs and put them in my bed and go back to sleep. So he would think he forgot to come to my house and leave more...it never worked.
  • Options
    I used to think I could trick the Easter bunny by getting up really early and find all the hidden eggs and put them in my bed and go back to sleep. So he would think he forgot to come to my house and leave more...it never worked.

Haha i used to stay up late on Easter Eve to get up in the night and watch him hopping round the garden putting the eggs out. Always fell asleep though, never got to see him :(