Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats my laptop worth ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, im thinking of selling my laptop to go towards a new nice spec netbook, any ideas what i would get for it? the spec is a duel core 1.66, 2gb ram, Geforce Go 7600, two 80gb drives, dvd-rw 17" screen, any ideas what i would get for it?

Comments

• Options
    250-300 quid if you sold it right now i would say.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Grade_A1_Acer_Aspire_5920_Gemstone_Laptop_A1-LX.AKV0X.912/version.asp

I got that model with more ram 2 months ago and it was 400 so thats my best guess :)

edit: mine has a blueray drive too, the model there doesnt ^^
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Hey guys, im thinking of selling my laptop to go towards a new nice spec netbook, any ideas what i would get for it? the spec is a duel core 1.66, 2gb ram, Geforce Go 7600, two 80gb drives, dvd-rw 17" screen, any ideas what i would get for it?

FYI, you probably dont have two 80gb drives, you'll more than likely have one 160 gig drive partitioned into 2x80...
  • Options
    nope, its two 80gb drives.
  • Options
    Make/model/age/warranty?
  • Options
    HP, dv8333ea about a year and a half old.
  • Options
    Since when have laptops starting getting two hard drives?

I've seen a few models that will interchange your optical drive for a 2nd battery... called 'swappable bay' I think. Surely you have to sacrefice something to get a second physical disk in there?
  • Options
    nope, it has two 2.5 drives fitted.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    nope, it has two 2.5 drives fitted.

Post a picture of the Disk management! I want to see this :)
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Since when have laptops starting getting two hard drives?

I've seen a few models that will interchange your optical drive for a 2nd battery... called 'swappable bay' I think. Surely you have to sacrefice something to get a second physical disk in there?

Mine will take 2 physical drives. There's a bit more real estate with 17" machines... :)

Actually, even my old 12" Thinkpad 760ED would accept two drives, but you had to ditch the floppy/CDROM...

ETA - this is the OP's machine...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00726611&lc=en&dlc=ru&cc=ru&lang=ru&product=3221696
  • Options
    Drives.jpg
  • Options
    Stafford calling Stafford - thanks for the info :-) I knew about swappable bay for battery/CD-ROM. I didn't realise that it extended to floppy and an extra HD.

To the OP - that's already a very good spec that you have on the HP machine. Most netbooks are in the £250 range and I can be certain that when you sell the HP and go for a netbook, you will walk away with loose change :-)
  • Options
    thanks for the reply guys, do you think ebay is the best option?

I dont really use the laptop anymore and with a really long train ride each day to work i think a netbook would be better :-)
  • Options
    The old 760s were fantastic machines for the time. The third bay could house an extra battery, floppy, CD-ROM, or an extra hard drive. The keyboard actually tilted upwards when the screen was up, making it very comfortable to use. The innards comprised of 4/5 PCBs mounted on top of each other... it was one of the last machines that you were able to repair without changing the whole lot out...

http://www.1000bit.it/lista/i/ibm/760/760_2.jpg
    http://www.1000bit.it/scheda.asp?id=546