Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lamp post

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I came home from work earlier there was a van from an electrical company in the back lane. I didn't actually take any notice of what they were doing, but now it is dark and I've just been to my bathroom which is at the back of the flat, and a new lamp post has been erected directly outside my next door neighbours house.

It is really bright and lights up my bathroom and kitchen. I've also just gone into the bedroom and it is lighter in there than usual (not that this bothers me much I sleep with a night light on anyway) but that's not the point, and it must be annoying for my neighbours as well. And for the houses opposite it looks like this light is literally shining right into their bedroom windows.

I'm not sure why it's been decided to put a lamp post up, I've not known of much trouble in the back lane although it wasn't very well lit, but shouldn't they have spoken to the residents about this? The light also now shines directly on my car as I have a driveway and it is literally right next to my drive outside nextdoors house, so I'm worried that people can now see right into my car!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah they have done that round mine before, except it shines right in the bedroom and keeps you awake. We just put blinds up and got on with it, not much you can do now it's up. I don't think they have to tell you, although a few times there has been a note on a lamp post if they are moving it or replacing it.
  • Options
    fbi agents are in the van, monitoring you. don't do anything suspicious.
  • Options
    Similar case up in York. When I was a kid in Leicester I saw some kids showing of how to turn off the lamposts. If you give them a really good boot on the panel for some reason they automatically turn off ;). Maybe depends on the type.

I think it would be good practice to inform residents but then again it might make a job that takes a council a week to do anyway two weeks, whereas an average guy on a mission could do it in a day. Councils are so slooooww. So less paperwork the better imo.
  • Options
    The lampost has been switched on all day so they've obviously done something wrong! Apparently the lamp post has always been there but hasn't functioned since before I moved in (2 years ago!) so the electric company must have just been fixing it yesterday. Never took any notice of it as it never worked (I'm really unobservant anyway!). So I would agree with you about how long it takes the council to do anything Shyboy, more than 2 years to incorrectly fix a lamp post by all accounts!