Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dentist charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
MODS: Didn't know where to put this so please move to the right category if you feel this is in the wrong one.

Went to the dentist yesterday (see relationships). Check up cost me £16.80

I now have to go back to have a filling done on ONE tooth and its going to cost me £45.60 WHAT A F*CKING RIP-OFF!!!!!!!

Does anyone else find the cost too expensive?

Comments

• Options
    Dentist is free for me :P
  • Options
    I've been charged more than that, but I can still see your point.

Is that an NHS dentist? I can't remember how much they charge for stuff?

Edited: I've just looked up nhs charges, so I'm guessing you are with the nhs. I guess it's just something you have to do. I'd rather pay that than let my teeth rot away.
  • Options
    The way they've changed the system (if it is an NHS dentist) means that you're charged that 40-odd quid whether you have one filling or ten. It's crap for people like you who only need one, but if you needed a lot doing at once, you'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

It's not particularly fair if you have good teeth, I don't think, it just means that all treatment is relatively affordable, to encourage more people to have it done.
  • Options
    dont know if im right but im sure you just pay one fee for everything that needs doing...so you shouldnt have had to pay for a checkup and then a filling, 45 pound should have been for the checkup and then whatever needs doing.

i went to the dentist last week for a checkup and i need two fillings, i paid £45 which covers it all, checkup and fillings.
  • Options
    dont know if im right but im sure you just pay one fee for everything that needs doing...so you shouldnt have had to pay for a checkup and then a filling, 45 pound should have been for the checkup and then whatever needs doing.

i went to the dentist last week for a checkup and i need two fillings, i paid £45 which covers it all, checkup and fillings.

That's what I thought too. You should only have to pay the £45. Have you already paid the other? If so then I would mention this next time you go in.

But yes it is annoying, especially when you're in the chair for 2 minutes, told your teeth are perfect and then expected to pay £16! That left my purse empty.
  • Options
    You should pay one charge for each course of treatment, so if you're going back for a filling then you should be paying the £46 charge for both the filling and the check up, not being charged separately for them.
  • Options
    You should pay one charge for each course of treatment, so if you're going back for a filling then you should be paying the £46 charge for both the filling and the check up, not being charged separately for them.

Agreed. I went for a checkup and told I needed 2 fillings. I paid the £16 fee. I went back and only had to pay £29 for the fillings, total cost £45.
  • Options
    Checkup is £12 at my dentist :yippe:
  • Options
    think i paid about £90. but that was private. and it was to see the dentist for a check up and the hygienist.
  • Options
    At the NHS, I think there are 3 pricing bands. The OP had the first two bands (£16 and £45), and the top band is about £90 if a lot needs to be done.
  • Options
    The only thing my particularly sadistic dentist (well, have you ever wondered what it is they actually do with most of that equipment?) is any good at extracting large amounts of money from my wallet. I also couldn't help but notice that the last time I went to the dentists, he had a brand new BMW in the yard which he was boasting to me about whilst pointlessly looking at my gnashers.

Here's hoping a bird came along and did a fucking massive shit all over the car windows.
  • Options
    If my dentist was driving a broken down rustbucket I'd be quite worried :p
  • Options
    Private dentists normally charge double that, so don't complain too loudly.

Those are the NHS charges for dentistry. I think they're pretty reasonable, although I have health insurance that covers this sort of thing.