Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Found Mobile Phone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My hubby found a mobile phone this morning on the wall outside our local nightclub. It's a samsung F480 on the Orange Network. I've tried turning it on to phone somebody from the SIM to trace who it belongs to so that I can return it, but the phone doesn't switch on (battery could be dead although it rained in the night and was wet so could be broken) but I'm sure whoever it belongs to would appreciate having it back for the SIM and memory card etc.

I don't know of anybody on the Orange network, so am unable to insert the SIM in any other phone to obtain numbers from it. I don't know anyone with a samsung so can't borrow a charger to see if the battery can be charged. I've taken the SIM card out and there is a number to ring if you find the phone, I rang it and they were useless, they gave me another number to ring but it's a machine you get through to who wants you to enter the mobile phone number (which obviously I don't know) and if you stay on the line it just says as you've not entered a number we are unable to help and cuts you off.

Can anyone suggest what else I could do?

Comments

• Options
    Hand it over to the police as lost property.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Hand it over to the police as lost property.

As an addition, the police will be able to search their incidents and hopefully whoever lost it will have reported it.
  • Options
    :thumb:

I will hand it in to the police, never thought of doing this :blush:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    M ay not be a popular train of thought but...
    If it's better than your keep it. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Most phones are unlocked these days and work with any sim card.
  • Options
    Not really, a lot are locked, especially the pay as you go ones, easy to get unlocked, but still locked to begin with.
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    A quick techi like me can unlock phones with just a cable, it's pretty simple. Btw if you hand it into the police and no one claims it after 10 days. It's yours to keep :)

Pretty sure its longer than 10 days, like going into the months.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Not really, a lot are locked, especially the pay as you go ones, easy to get unlocked, but still locked to begin with.

If you get them from a specific network shop then they are not unlocked but if bought from carphonewarehouse or a shop like that then they are usually unlocked. Or all of mine have been.
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    A quick techi like me can unlock phones with just a cable, it's pretty simple. Btw if you hand it into the police and no one claims it after 10 days. It's yours to keep :)

Its alot longer than 10days,

and.. just out of curiosity how come you are always bragging about your super duper techie skills? huh? no offence intended but its a bit irritaiting
  • Options
    Just like making the blanket statement that the royal marines are better paid than the other forces, or many of the other sweeping yet very incorrent statements he has made.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Its alot longer than 10days,

and.. just out of curiosity how come you are always bragging about your super duper techie skills? huh? no offence intended but its a bit irritaiting

Exactly. Like in this thread, how I explained something, then he explained it turning a blind eye to me.
  • Options
    The local police station was closed. I went to a friends who had a spare mobile on orange, put the sim in there and had to then phone several of the people who had sent messages to the SIM (all the numbers were stored on the phone so the only numbers I could get were from the message inbox). The phone belonged to a girl, spoke to her friend who then contacted the girls best friend who then phoned me to arrange where to collect the phone! They live bout 12 miles away from me and were coming to my town anyway so collected it earlier tonight. Apparently the battery had died last night and the owner of the phone was very worse for wear and left it on the wall in error (which I had gathered) but was really pleased to have her phone back and said that not many people would have bothered to do all of that!
    M ay not be a popular train of thought but...
    If it's better than your keep it.

Better than my phone but in crap condition, my hubby and most people I've spoken to think I am mad and should have nicked the memory card out of it etc, but I could not do that! I would like to think that if I lost my phone somebody would do the same to get the phone back to me. I've done my good dead for the day :angel:
  • Options
    found mobile phone

When you’ve found a mobile phone which doesn’t belong to you, I think it’s best to return it when the owner inquired for it.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    my hubby and most people I've spoken to think I am mad and should have nicked the memory card out of it etc, but I could not do that! I would like to think that if I lost my phone somebody would do the same to get the phone back to me. I've done my good dead for the day :angel:

Good for you, hun! Honesty and integrity are one of the best attributes to have. You did the right thing. :love: