Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking (prescribed) drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My niece was diagnosed with a psychotic condition and the doctor gave her Clonazepam for sleeping and Aririprazole as anti-psychotic.

She does want to get better, but she is reluctant to take medication. Her mother is even more opposed to it. Looking at the sleeping tablet on medicinenet, I am not sure why she was given something so strong? It seems to cause addiction over long time and has side-effects. Can I just make her have a herbal tea with valerian?

And I would love to hear your experience with Aririprazole. Any bad effects? Are there better alternatives? No-drug treatments?

Comments

• Options
    I don't mean this in a nasty way, but it kinda annoys me when people are reluctant to take medication they have been prescribed. My mums the same, she is on lots of medication at the moment for anxiety and depression, but whenever the doctor gives her something new she is apprehensive about taking it. If she has a cold it takes her ages to have a lemsip or take beechams or anything like that!

I'm sure your niece wouldn't have been prescribed these meds if her GP had any concerns about whether or not she should be taking them. If she and her mum are that concerned, I suggest they contact the GP and ask the question you have asked below. It might help if you understood why that particular medication has been prescribed, or the GP may suggest something else. To be honest there are side affects with any medication, and what works well for one may not necessarily work well for another.
  • Options
    Do not mix herbal remedies and prescription drugs without talking to your GP first.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Do not mix herbal remedies and prescription drugs without talking to your GP first.

Yeah, I understand that. Thank you for the advice! :)
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    I don't mean this in a nasty way, but it kinda annoys me when people are reluctant to take medication they have been prescribed. My mums the same, she is on lots of medication at the moment for anxiety and depression, but whenever the doctor gives her something new she is apprehensive about taking it. If she has a cold it takes her ages to have a lemsip or take beechams or anything like that!
    Don't you see why people would like to go on without allopathic drugs? Right or wrong, they are perceived as being aggressive on your system and often have lasting side-effects.

BTW you do know, that cold "remedies" don't effectively cure anything :chin:
    I'm sure your niece wouldn't have been prescribed these meds if her GP had any concerns about whether or not she should be taking them. If she and her mum are that concerned, I suggest they contact the GP and ask the question you have asked below. It might help if you understood why that particular medication has been prescribed, or the GP may suggest something else. To be honest there are side affects with any medication, and what works well for one may not necessarily work well for another.
    Well, I don't know all the effects of aririprazole but I do believe she should take an anti-psychotic, at least in the first stage. She was at home with her mother when the doctors visited today and didn't take it :(
  • Options
    Ok, yesterday she took aririprazole in the evening when the doctors visited again. Also we got to know that the clonazepame was prescribed as anti-anxiety, not for sleeping. Lying to help it pass, heh?

Anyway she is now on 10g aririprazole and 0.5g clonazepam. They wanted to double the anti-anxiety tablet, one morning one evening but she looks drowsy enough already and I opposed it.

Trusting doctors is all good, but I want it to be as easy as possible for her. There will be a medical checkup later when we can discuss it again.
  • Options
    i understand you are worried about your niece as anuy anite would be.

But i dont think doctors will just dish out any strength of tablets if it isnt nessasery because they would lose their jobs.

All i can say is just trust what the doctors say they know whats best

hope she is ok
  • Options
    She does really need to give it a try with the medication, because at the end of the day (at least in my own personal experience) her body will tell her how she is getting on with the medication. She'll either few better or not really. But she has to be willing to try and ride out the first week or so whilst her body gets used to the medication.
    Remind her that this could be what really helps her right now.