Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I am not a psycho

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Someone close to me needs help, but she has a negative prejudice about seeing a GP.

In her view, we are making her believe she is sick, making her into a psycho.

Can you advise how to approach her? It is very important.

Comments

• Options
    Why do you think she needs help ?
  • Options
    maybe a little more info could help us a bit here..what sort of things is she doing/saying that are out of the ordinary? How often? etc
  • Options
    All right...

I don't like to talk about someone else in public. But she did things like pulling her hair out, and now she is hearing voices. She stays up at night to "talk" with him (basically every day).

Also, she often refuses to come out of the house or to eat.
  • Options
    Sounds like she needs help, if you made a doctor fully aware of condition she would probably be sectioned. Might be the best thing for her by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hi Kosto,

as the others say, I think you're doing the right thing to try and persuade your friend to get help. I just wanted to point you to a couple of resources you can go to if you're still stuck and worried about what to do.
    This article on supporting someone who self harms could be useful in general - although it sounds like her problems aren't just about self harm. So there is also a general page about supporting friends with mental health problems.

And the Mind helpline is open Monday to Friday 9-5, if you're looking for some more specific advice. The number is 0845 766 0163.

Keeps us posted if you would like any more support at all, and good luck with this.
  • Options
    We went to A&E today. I am drained. She will be under close supervision by the looks of it.

I hope she recovers quickly. She is sensitive and intelligent girl, I want her well soon...
  • Options
    jido wrote: »
    We went to A&E today. I am drained. She will be under close supervision by the looks of it.

I hope she recovers quickly. She is sensitive and intelligent girl, I want her well soon...

They will do all they can for her at the hosptial, she will be monitored and they will give her medication to help and prob offer counselling etc as well. It will prob take some time though so try to look after yourself and not worry too much, she is in the right place now getting the help that she needs :)
  • Options
    Hi Jido,

As everyone has said, the hospital will do what they can to help her and hopefully refer her to relevant agencies and support networks. She is in the right place for getting the help that she needs.

It sound's like it has been difficult for you and it's important that you keep yourself safe. Seems like you are a good friend and have have taken the right action - going to the hospital and also coming here for support. As you've only posted a few times - we wish you are warm welcome to the boards. It is a safe environment here and there are lots of people on here that have experienced similar things and have some great advice.

You may also want to consider speaking to someone at a confidential helpline such as the Samaritans (08457 909090), just to help you verbalise how you feel at the moment?

Each individual's 'recovery' journey from mental health problems vary incredibly - what is certain is that she will need support from professionals, family and friends such as yourself.

Take care and keep posting :)