Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bad Back!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a sore back at the moment, probably from too much slouchy sitting on inappropriate summer seating. I'd prefer not to take anything for it, what else might help? It's not a problem I get a lot.

Mr Olive very kindly gave me a back rub, which helped a lot while he was actually doing it, but didn't give much lasting relief. I've also been trying to sit straighter in my chair, and stretching out now and again so I don't stiffen up.

Any other ideas? Nice hot bath? Do those heat pads actually do owt?

Thanking you kindly in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    I find heat packs help me, I've not tried it for back pain, but other aches and pains they do. You could alternate this with cold packs.

Get a massage.

Hot baths are good, or go swimming and just do some gentle swimming up and down.

Sit more upright and be aware of your posture.

If you don't mind creams instead of tablets, you could try deep heat, volterol gel or ibupofen gel.

Don't sit still for too long, this could just make you stiffen up and feel worse.

Hope some of that helps!
  • Options
    Lying on your back on a very hard surface (like a floor) for a while usually helps me.
  • Options
    Nice hot bath with some olbas oil sprinkled in it!
    I swear by it!
  • Options
    I've used the heat patches before when I've had muscular pains in my chest and they did help relieve the pain.
  • Options
    one of those posture correcting back girdle things?
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll give some of your ideas a crack :)
  • Options
    How about one of these?

semi-kneeling-stool-2.jpg

I was meaning to get one for years. They were quite common at one time, to the extent where you could get one from Argos. Best bet now is to search "kneeling stool" into a search engine, Amazon or eBay. Get one for £80 if from a shop, or £65 if from eBay. As pictured above, sit in that position and it changes the posture for the better. Of course, it takes weeks and month of usage for your posture to improve, but it was the same slow process when it was getting worse for you Olive.
  • Options
    Do you have health insurance? My health insurance gives me £500 a year towards massages, which I have fairly regularly. Helps with my back pain, caused by inappropriate office furniture.