Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Just started going out with girl, age difference..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been seeing a girl for a couple of weeks now, and tonight we confirmed that we should start going out with eachother.

She's 16, nearly 17, and ive just turned 22.

I dont have a problem with the age tbh, as she looks and acts alot longer.
She doesn't have a problem with the age difference either.

The only problem is, she won't tell her parents about me because she worried what theyre gonna say and she thinks theyll possible kick her out, and she doesn't want to ruin her relationship with her parents.

It cant go on like this tbh, i think shes gotta tell them.. do you think it would be a wise decision for her to tell them, or let them find out from other people??

Within the space of 2 weeks we've both clicked, and have become really close to eachother.

Comments

• Options
    it depends really...in one respect yeah she should tell her parents because if they found out of someone else it could turn out worse.

But if she did tell them then she may end the relationship because she would not want to fall out with her parents.

if i was you i would let her make her own decsion on how she handels it because if you push her then she is more likely to fall out with you over and which ever way her parents take it just make sure she knows you will be ther for her.

good luck
  • Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat as your gf, my bf is 24 and i'm nearly 17 hes met 2 of my brothers and my mum but not my dad or my oldest brother, my dad doesn't know about him but my bro does and he is not really happy about the age difference.

Its a tough one tbh, but I think it wouldbe better if she just told them, hopefully they will thank her for being truthful.
  • Options
    brad18 wrote: »

She's 16, nearly 17, and ive just turned 22.

Didn't read the whole post, but this is (even if a bit stretched) o.k. in my book. Always depends on the circumstances, but if you are not exploitative and actually care about her, it's no big deal.

I personally am not sure if I could do it (I set my minimum to 19, at my age, which is 23), but given the circumstances I could make exceptions. Not out of principle, but I do know a few girls at that age (my younger sister is 16 and has been with someone nearly 21 with 14/15) and there is no way I would date them since their interests/opinions/everything is just still far off what I think/like etc, and they appear too "childlike" to me.

/e: She definitely should tell her parents if she wants to be serious with you, which you should tell her just like that.