Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should women be allowed to have their top off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The weather was hot today and there was an interesting debate at work...

A girl said, since it is ok for men to have their top off in public (for example, jogging in the park), then why shouldnt women be allowed the same, if men and women are treated equally.

Does anyone know if it is legal or illegal for women to be topless in public? If it is illegal, do you think it discriminates against women?

Comments

• Options
    It is a terrible discrimination. Women should be allowed, and actively encouraged to get their tits out at all times.
  • Options
    Tits are sexual objects and will therefore always be seen as more of an issue than a mans chest.

I dont much care to be honest, I just think its cheap to go topless in this country anywhere else than a beach.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    It is a terrible discrimination. Women should be allowed, and actively encouraged to get their tits out at all times.

And that is why most of us would probably choose not to :p
    Also, as to the jogging thing:
    a) I never do :D
    b) If I did, I'd keep both my top AND bra firmly on thanks...you ever tried running any distance with boobs?

And I think that it shouldn't be illegal to be honest, because if women want to do that they should be allowed to. I just wouldn't choose it.

Luv
    Gabz
    xxx
  • Options
    If women are allowed to go topless then what is the differnece between that and showing a topless lady on a tv show or in a magazine that isnt p0rn. tits are seen as sexual so I dont think women should be allowed to go topless.
  • Options
    Originally posted by John_Doe
    tits are seen as sexual so I dont think women should be allowed to go topless.

But then why men tits are not seen as sexual? Some women can argue that and said its just another example of sexism and male dominance... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Men don't have tits, and if they do it's because they are overweight- not sexual objects.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nice Kick

But then why men tits are not seen as sexual? Some women can argue that and said its just another example of sexism and male dominance... :rolleyes:

Because mens tits are just a throwback from birth and dont have any function whatsoever. Womens breasts and nipples are erogenous areas and are heavily used during sex. Mens are not.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Men don't have tits, and if they do it's because they are overweight- not sexual objects.

:D:D:D

That pretty much sums man-tits up ;)
  • Options
    I think breasts are far too over sexualised, to the extent that a lot of people even get offended by seeing a mother breastfeeding her baby in public. maybe theyd be happier if the woman was just gettin em out for the lads, but they dont like to think that maybe breasts arent just sexual and actually have a use.
  • Options
    heavily used during sex...depends on what sex...
  • Options
    heavily used during sex...depends on what sex...

:confused::confused: Im confused:(
  • Options
    Re: Should women be allowed to have their top off
    Originally posted by Nice Kick

Does anyone know if it is legal or illegal for women to be topless in public? If it is illegal, do you think it discriminates against women?

This was a case in New York about 10 years ago. The courts found that requiring women to wear tops was discrimination. As a result, women may go topless in New York if they so choose.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Should women be allowed to have their top off
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    This was a case in New York about 10 years ago. The courts found that requiring women to wear tops was discrimination. As a result, women may go topless in New York if they so choose.

To be fair, I don't think that it is illegal over here either. My impression is that, unless sunbathing, most women prefer not to expose themselves.

If bearing your breasts in public was illegal then some catwalk models and sunbathers would be arrested.
  • Options
    The law is a bit fluffy...but just so you know:

"You could be prosecuted for 'outraging public decency'. Broadly speaking, a person commits such an offence when exposing themselves or engaging in a sexual act while another person is present and likely to be offended or alarmed. "

"In theory, even going topless on the beach can expose you to complaint, and not just in cases where it's banned by the local authority. If the police were brought in, however, the decision to prosecute would depend upon the circumstances behind the alleged offence and their interpretation of the law. "

Susie :)
  • Options
    It is illegal in California (of all places!)

I don't know if they would prosecute, however, given much more rampant (and serious) problems.
  • Options
    <b>Quote
    Balddog :Because mens tits are just a throwback from birth and dont have any function whatsoever. Womens breasts and nipples are erogenous areas and are heavily used during sex. Mens are not.</b>

Disagree there, they are erogenous zones, you just need to use a liittle more force (or clamps, or wax, or ice). ;)

If some-one wants to see a topless woman as a sexual object thats up to the person watching, not the person being watched. Maybe if more women walked around topless people wouldn't make such a fuss about breasts when they do see them.
    Maybe we could even get rid of the topless women staring blankly out from page 3....

If you think women shouldn't be able to go topless then neither should men.
    Equality means treating equally.
  • Options
    A young blond girl comes back from school one evening.

She runs to her mum and says: "Mummy today at school we learnt how to
    count.
    Well, all the other girls only counted to 5, but listen to me :
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 !
    It's good, innit?"
    "Yes darling, very good."
    "Is that because I'm blond "
    "Yes darling, it's because you're blond."

Next day, the girl comes back from school and says: "Mummy, today at
    school
    we learnt the alphabet. All the other girls only went as far as D, but
    listen to me : A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K !
    It's good innit?"
    "Is that because I'm blond, mummy?"
    "Yes darling it's because you're blond."

Next Day, she returns from school and cries: "Mummy, today we went
    swimming.
    Well, all the other girls have no breasts, but look at me!"
    She proceeds to flash her impressive 36D at her mummy.
    "No darling, it's because you're 18."

:D
  • Options
    I love seeing a topless man with a nice six pack on a summers day, in the right setting. Walking down the high street you just look like a poser, in the park they are sexy mmmmmmmmm come on lads get your nipples our for the ladies!
  • Options
    the main reason why women do not go topless is because they have breasts - pure and simple
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel
    A young blond girl comes back from school one evening.

She runs to her mum and says: "Mummy today at school we learnt how to
    count.
    Well, all the other girls only counted to 5, but listen to me :
    1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 !
    It's good, innit?"
    "Is that because I'm blond "
    "Yes darling, it's because you're blond."

Next day, the girl comes back from school and says: "Mummy, today at
    school
    we learnt the alphabet. All the other girls only went as far as D, but
    listen to me : A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K !
    It's good innit?"
    "Yes darling it's because you're blond."

Next Day, she returns from school and cries: "Mummy, today we went
    swimming.
    Well, all the other girls have no breasts, but look at me!"
    She proceeds to flash her impressive 36D at her mummy.
    "No darling, it's because you're 18."

:D
    *doesn't get it* :confused:
    Was that a joke? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by leese
    the main reason why women do not go topless is because they have breasts - pure and simple
    You are implying that breasts actually prevent women from going topless i.e. that women are incapable of taking their tops off because they have breasts.

In fact the only reason more women do not go topless is sociological pressure. :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

You are implying that breasts actually prevent women from going topless i.e. that women are incapable of taking their tops off because they have breasts.

In fact the only reason more women do not go topless is sociological pressure. :p

and pain of sunburned nipples!!!!!!!!1:mad: :mad:
  • Options
    I think the real issue is would you want to see Vanessa Feltz wandering around tesco topless ? Good, debate over then ;)
  • Options
    I wouldn't go topless even if it was accepted, I need to wear a bra as do most women with a cup size larger than A!
  • Options
    I wouldn't go topless even if it was accepted, I need to wear a bra as do most women with a cup size larger than A!

yeah turn this into i have big tits therefore im great, debate. Three tits dont make up for a crap personality, not aimed at you pussykatty, just at guys
  • Options
    Eh? Where did that come from?
  • Options
    Erm, OK...?
  • Options
    if women went topless:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    this is a debate ive had with freinds before i dont see too much wrong with it (maybe being a 16 year old boy has something to do with that:rolleyes: ) Is it legal in any european countries i think it should be ok for women to go down their bra atleast if needed. But what i dont see is why men are allowed to expose nipples and women arent:confused:
  • Options
    But, in reality, how many women would want to? Would you like to walk round tescos topless? maybe this is just due to cultural opinion, but, why would they want to anywhere other than a beach (assuming the reason they are there is to get a tan)? So you're hot, wear a bikini top! I understand the principle that we should be allowed to if we feel the need, but I think too many people may be offended (or just horny!) :p Which doesn't make them prudes, breasts are seen as very sexual objects, not for public viewing!
    And where does this leave the topless modelling being degrading to women argument?