Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Family

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Umm, well basically I seem to be have a bit of family trouble.

At home there's me, mum, my brother and my dad (but he's not me real dad, him and mum aren't married, but thy have been together since I was 6ish so I call him dad)

Anyway, I used to get on with him really well, he used to be all nice to us and take us out and all that jazz. But then he changed, kinda quick.

I've seen him push mum about and throw her to the ground, he,'s puhed me about aswell. Every time they argue and mum locks herself in a room he turns on the nearest person to him, which I try and make sure is me so he stays away from my brother (his and mums son. Kinda makes mme feel left out as I don't know real dad). But this doesn't hapen often but it's happened enough for it to have an effect on me.

I'm not that scared of him, well, more like I don't want to be scared of him but everytime I'm in the same room as him I feel really on edge. It's really starting to get to me.

Everytime he raises his voice i get scared. He can lose his temper at anything. Like if you talk when he is watching something 'important' on tv...top gear.

I don't even know why I'm posting this, cause there's not much I can do about it. I'm getting to the point where I can't stop thinking that I deserve all the names and crappy put downs he says.

I think I'm just pissed off with myself coz I'm scared of him. And I wish I wasn't. I dunno he's just so hard to read one minute he is fine and the next he's shouting his head of about something trivial that doesn't even matter, like if tea isn't made when he is hungry he calls mum useless and lazy. And still expects her to make it.

I just don't know what to do...:mad:

Am I being stupid?

Comments

• Options
    Guess I'm being stupid then.
  • Options
    You're not being stupid at all. He sounds like a nasty man. Is there anyone you can tell?
  • Options
    I'm scared to tell anyone. If the wrong person finds out then they could confont my parents and I would hate to think what would happen if dad found out I told anyone. Or mum for that matter.

I'm stuck
  • Options
    Would you feel comfortable about phoning some sort of helpline? as far as I know they don't do anything unless you give permission.
  • Options
    I don't know, it's a scary thought.
  • Options
    I need a rant!

He's being a right twat. He sits there with his beer watching his programme, which we can't talk when its on because he "can't hear the TV". Everytiny little thing he shouts at, my brother asked him to play a game with him and he shouted at him saying "give me a break" WTF? :eek2:

He keeps getting on at mum saying she does "fuck all" because she only works from 9 - 2, and she ought to do his job cause thats "hard work"...he says sat on his arse, waiting for the tea she cooked. :banghead:

If i could move out i would.
  • Options
    helllo :)
    i think you should talk to someone, i kindaa have the same situation with my mum, you never know when shes in a good mood or bad, is like walking on egg shells around her.....but (no offence) has alot more on her plate than you dad...

I would consider talking to someon of the family, im very lucky and have my aunt, my gran and my mums friends to talk to knowing its tottaly confidential unless i want them to say something, they understand my problem and its good to talk to someone that knows about the situation first hand. If your worried about someone of your family saying something, then i would call a helpline, i havnt so i really dont know what they will ask/how it works, but its probaly best than letting you bottle up these feelings. :thumb: keep us posted :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a friend I can talk to about anything so I might have a chat with her. It's werid coz Im worried about talking about it to people just incase it gets out, but also because I'm ashamed.
  • Options
    Hi there,

There is nothing to be ashamed about, the only person who should be ashamed is your stepfather. If you are able to speak to anyone please do, as it truly helps to get it out, and if you trust that person, there is no reason why anything would get out. It might still be a good idea to approach your mother about this, as not only are you afraid but you are worried for her too, and maybe she will only respond to what is happening once you open up. If he becomes very violent, please do not hesitate to call the police in order to protect yourself and your mother.
    Here is another person's experience with a violent childhood, hopefully this will helps.

Good luck and stay strong.
  • Options
    cheers guys, I'm going to talk about it with my friend, to at least get it all off my chest. Then i'll see what happens from there.