Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I feel old

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Might be in the wrong place here but I do feel as though my home life has been turned on its head.

Today my mum got insanely drunk at a work do, kept my dad waiting for an hour and a half as she didn't answer her phone then threw up when she got home and is currently passed out on the sofa.

My brother, who is 2 years younger than me, is out somewhere or other (don't ask me!) which is kind of weird considering that despite the age gap, I still get treated as if I need an armed guard to go to the pub. I understand why my parents worry, but honestly, I spend half the year living away at uni!

My dad is pissed off with everything, including me querying something at wokr with him (we work in the same company but he is high up and I'm a lowly cashier) and he told me not to worry about but I think another high up person has made a really big error and I think it is my business to query it if it's wrong.

On top of all this, I'm unofficially being trained as a manager, despite being the youngest person in the company. I feel about 30 years older than I actually am lol.

My dad is going away tomorrow so I will be left to sort everything out. I'm probably being a bit silly but how do I nicely explain to my dad that he should chill, my mum that she should maybe not be rat-arsed by 8pm and my brother that he should probably let me know where he is seeing as I'm the only on here this weekend who answers their phone lol?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Sounds like things are not going great...

Is your brother supposed to be at work with you?

Lads will be lads unfortunately and sometimes don't think to let others know where they are going - as long as he comes back ok, that's all that matters - although i agree that some consideration for the rest of you would be good!:)

About your mum - does she get this drunk regularly? Maybe she just needed to blow off some steam, especially if your dad is being pressured, or having trouble at work and not speaking to your mum. I'd just make sure your mum knows you are there for her.

About your dad - i think this can be a problem when people of the same family work in the same business - sometimes some people have issues which they can't or won't discuss with other family members. I think that if someone has made a mistake and your dad is well aware of it and he is a manager, then as a 'lowly cashier', i don't think it's in your interests (or place), in terms of a work environment, to question it. To make him chill out - there's only one person who can do that, him. Although he might be stressed at work, let him know that you'll help him in any way you can, e.g. do some extra work for him or little things like drop him a brew in his office etc and tell him to take 5 minutes or what not. If he's anything like my dad, then you've got no chance as he never 'chills out'.

About work - who cares that you are the youngest person in the company? If people didn't have ambition, then no-one would get anywhere. I'm one of the youngest people in our department at work, but also have been told that i'm one of the most reliable and hard working.
    The job you are being trained for may make you feel old - but you are only as old as you make yourself. By this, i mean go out with your mates, have fun, keep yourself in the young mindset!

Sounds like you have a head full of stuff, making you think you feel old - don't fret it, just go to the pub :yum:
  • Options
    Lol I went to the pub last night and bumped into someone I hadn't seen for nearly two years.

No, my brother wasn't meant to be at work but I was just a bit worried. Turns out my Mum knew where he was but obviously she wasn't all that helpful lol. He went to see Harry Potter with his mates.

My Dad works in the head office so I don't tend to see him that often at work, which is probably just as well! I do see why you would think it wasn't any of my business it's just that my Dad didn't know about the mistake so I thought I'd tell him but it's all sorted now :)

To be honest, I've thought for a couple of years now that my Mum may have issues with drinking but I know her job is stressful and my Dad just has a go at her about it which just makes it worse to be honest.

I guess the thing is, I only work during my uni holidays and it's not really a job I'd envisage myself doing in the long run lol obviously if nothing came up then I'd do it but iut wouldn't be my career of choice. I guess I'm being silly really considering I was unofficially referred to as 'the head of parties' at my old job when I was 16 lol.