Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When a spouse or partner 'loses it'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The emotional bond of living with someone can be strong and complex.

What if the gf, bf, husband or wife loses their mind? they go round the bend at home with depression, repetitive compulsive behaviour, say and do bizarre things and basically 'flip'

Do you file for divorce on grounds of insanity, take them to a shrink and get them sectioned under the Mental Health Act or soldier on hoping things somehow corrects itself? what about visiting a partner in a mental hospital under your duty to care for a love one.

It can be tricky. When you both decide to live together under the same roof, things are rosy and the sexual chemistry untarnished. There are many instances when a couple has one of them suffer an unforeseen nervous breakdown.

Comments

• Options
    you love them and support them if you can
  • Options
    you love them and support them if you can
    Ideally
  • Options
    Short and simple from Suzi and exactly right - you love and support them.

My girlfriend went through a badass bout of depression a while ago and all you can do is tell them when they are being mental, hug them when they cry and listen when they want to talk.

It is surprisingly easy to do when you love someone very deeply :)

I can also understand why people would get others sectioned, mainly through fear and not wanting to be in a strong emotional situation so just hand them over to someone who is willing to take their problems on.
  • Options
    Short and simple from Suzi and exactly right - you love and support them.

It's not always that easy.

My friend is stuck in a relationship with a depressed bloke and it's chipped so much away from her own mental health. She's constantly trying to help him get better but it's like trying to fill a blackhole. It's been going on for years and she's distanced herself from her parents and friends as no one can tell her that she's doing the right thing.

My boyfriend was married to somebody with severe depression. Before it ended she had started constantly calling him for support as she couldn't deal with her work resulting in him not being able to take care of his own work since he was stuck trying to 'support' her. In the end she filed for divorce after she was sectioned. He said it's probably the best thing that happened to him.

My motto is that if the other person is willing and does take action towards improvement then of course you should give them love and support. However, you're always going to need to think of your own health first. It's not right for somebody to sacrifice their own happiness for somebody else's illness. Temporarily? Sure. Unforseen future? No way.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    It's not always that easy.

My friend is stuck in a relationship with a depressed bloke and it's chipped so much away from her own mental health. She's constantly trying to help him get better but it's like trying to fill a blackhole. It's been going on for years and she's distanced herself from her parents and friends as no one can tell her that she's doing the right thing.

My boyfriend was married to somebody with severe depression. Before it ended she had started constantly calling him for support as she couldn't deal with her work resulting in him not being able to take care of his own work since he was stuck trying to 'support' her. In the end she filed for divorce after she was sectioned. He said it's probably the best thing that happened to him.

My motto is that if the other person is willing and does take action towards improvement then of course you should give them love and support. However, you're always going to need to think of your own health first. It's not right for somebody to sacrifice their own happiness for somebody else's illness. Temporarily? Sure. Unforseen future? No way.

It can be a problem when a relationship partner becomes an emotional problem. Then some say love conquers all- people will stand by a spouse despite their mental breakdown. For those who don't adhere this, obviously the marriage contract has divorce facility built-in
  • Options
    I guess its like any other relationship. If the love goes then you leave. You cant pressure someone to leave someone they love even if its damaging to them. There will come a point when its all too much, but only they can decide that