Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Somebody please help - linksys wireless router :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everybody - im so annoyed

Basicly my linksys wireless router WRT54GS isnt working at all. When I connect the internet from my modem to my macbook its fine. But when it goes through the router, nothing. When I go into network settings on my macbook, its coming up No IP address. Does anybody have any ideas how I can fix this?

ANY help honestly would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Really need more details here, the short is that the router isn't assigning you an IP address as it should be.

Is the router from your ISP or have you brought it separately? If you've brought it separately you'll need to configure it for your ISP's network settings, you'll need to phone them for those.

How are you connecting your MacBook to the router? WiFi or Ethernet cable? if your connecting with WiFi you should try connecting with Ethernet and checking the WiFi settings.

In the manual for the router it should mention that there is an IP address you need to put in your web browser to configure the router, can you get into that?
  • Options
    Really need more details here, the short is that the router isn't assigning you an IP address as it should be.

Is the router from your ISP or have you brought it separately? If you've brought it separately you'll need to configure it for your ISP's network settings, you'll need to phone them for those.

How are you connecting your MacBook to the router? WiFi or Ethernet cable? if your connecting with WiFi you should try connecting with Ethernet and checking the WiFi settings.

In the manual for the router it should mention that there is an IP address you need to put in your web browser to configure the router, can you get into that?

Basicly what he said, It may be that the router hasnt got "get ip from my isp automaticly" turned on, if not you may need to turn that on, you also need to add your username/password to log onto the adsl on the router settings, this is done by logging into the router, most common ips to log into a router are

192.169.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 however there are many variations as well (consult your manual for yours) depending on your ISP they may have emailed you your settings (mine did)if not you need to phone.
  • Options
    Have you rebooted the router?
  • Options
    Have you rebooted the router?

By this do you mean a hard reset or a soft reset
  • Options
    Power off, power on.
  • Options
    Hi everyone - thanks for the replies

Right OK... its working fine on my mums vista PC. My Macbook is currently connected to the router - however when I go into the Network Utilities, and into Advanced, then into TCP/IP, the configure IPv4 says Using DHCP. Under that, the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask and Router is all blank - im not sure if this could be the problem?

Anybody know?
  • Options
    If its selected to use DHCP it gets settings automatically, so those boxes you mention should be blank, but also greyed out.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    If its selected to use DHCP it gets settings automatically, so those boxes you mention should be blank, but also greyed out.

Yeah they are.. so is that normal? Its so weird, its just my macbook which isnt getting the internet connection
  • Options
    Well if it is working on other machines, its likely to not be the routers problem then?
  • Options
    Probably - however I have tried my mac on another wireless network and its worked fine. I think it just hasnt got the right settings from the router and thats why its not connecting to the internet?!

Wireless connections... weird things, eh?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes certain routers aren't compatible with certain wireless adapters... but I really think it's unlikely this is the case here.