Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Unhappy with haircut...should I complain?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all
I'm a bit annoyed with my hairdresser as I'm fairly sure she's cut quite short layers into my hair which I specifically didn't want. I had the exact same thing happen at the same hairdressers but by a different person about a year ago. He's since left, and my current hairdresser knows the trouble I've had growing out the unwanted layers - I even asked her during my last haircut how long she thought it'd be until they'd completely grown out, as they were nearly there - which makes it worse. She's really nice though and I don't want to get her in trouble, but am just wondering whether I should mention it to someone at the salon because I'm thinking of just going somewhere else as it's happened twice now. She was quite distracted towards the end of my haircut as I'd come in late, so her next client was waiting as she was finishing my hair so I guess maybe it's partially my fault anyway. I know it might seem a bit petty but I really hate having layers as it makes my hair much harder to straighten and virtually impossible to keep straight and it's so frustrating considering my old ones had almost grown out :( Should I just not bother saying anything and just find a new hairdresser? I mean it's not like they can glue my hair back on...!

Comments

• Options
    You could always ask for a refund if you're not happy with it. They should give you that at least!

Though i don't know how that works with hairdressers, not like you get a receipt or anything is it.
  • Options
    I would not complain. but I have rather short hair, and it grows like weed. Just go to a different hairdresser next time.
  • Options
    I think it depends how long its been, if its been a couple of days i say go back and say your not happy with your haircut as you told your hairdresser you didnt want layers, and she knows the trouble you've had.

If its been a couple of weeks i'd leave it....they might not remember you or they could argue that because you left it so long obviously you were happy with it but maybe just decided that you want the money as well :P
    cause if you really werent happy with it, you'd complain straight away rather than leave it a couple of weeks, it would seem iffy to them i think.

i really dont know if that made any sense!
  • Options
    Haha, yeah it did make sense cheers. I think I'm going to leave it, it has been a couple of weeks since my cut, and although I think she would remember me it's not a drastically awful haircut and therefore probably not worth kicking up a fuss about. I think I might still look for a new hairdressers though...or might just try saying something subtle about it next time I go there.

Cheers for the replies guys :)
  • Options
    I think you should at least mention it to them. Perhaps they will give you a few trims as it is growing out on the house because it was their fault for making it crappy. Hair stylists are largely based on mouth to mouth business and they don't want somebody going around saying how they made them look terrible and did nothing about it.
  • Options
    first i hate it and I had that same thing happened to me before so it turned to be one of my serious concern everytime i have my haircut. but
    yeah there should be an action taken not to point that you'd complain but atleast give her the idea that you are disappointed and maybe a low tone saying you neither of you can glue it back.
  • Options
    im a hairdresser, maybe your asking for the wrong thing if not, depending on how long it has been since you had your haircut and ask to speak to the manager in a polite manner, and get the name of your hairdresser just explain that you are not happy and you would possibly like a refund or a something else like a free colour, or something to change the style, im sure if they want to keep their decent name they will give a refund.
  • Options
    Hello,
    thanks for your replies :) It's been quite a while since I posted this now though so have decided to forget about it. I don't think I asked for the wrong thing - in fact I specifically asked not to have the style I was given! - but never mind, I've learnt to live with it and will just try to be more clear next time.
    Thanks again :thumb: