Home Student Life & Education
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Funding to do a masters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

I have just finished my undergraduate degree in youth and community studies and came out with a 2.2. I am now looking to go onto my masters however it is £3000 and I dont have that sort of cash, does anyone know where I can get funding from to do this?




  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Career Development Loan

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Career development loans are not available on all courses and you have to jump through quite a few hoops to get one. CDLs are also charged at normal rate of interest, they're not like student loans which are charged at an inflation-neutral rate of interest. The only benefit to a CDL is that the LSC pay the interest whilst you're studying.

    You may also be able to get a commercial loan from a bank, but again these have to repaid at a commercial rate of interest. Only go down this route if you're sure you can afford the repayments when you complete your course. Interest is charged whilst you study.

    Other that loans, there's very little available in terms of funding, especially as you only got a 2.2. Given the number of applicants for grant funding you're not going to get a research grant with a 2.2.

    You might want to look at the Education Grants Advisory Service. Put your details in and it'll tell you what grants and bursaries are available. But competition is fierce; with a 2.2 and without children, caring duties or a disability you're unlikely to get anything.

    If you're disabled you might also be entitled to claim some Disabled Students Allowance, but that's to pay for specialist equipment or support rather than your usual living costs.
Sign In or Register to comment.