Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Deep in the friend zone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suppose I had better introduce myself before I ask for relationship advice. My name is Alex and I am a student from New Zealand. I found this forum with stumbleupon, and as I am currently dealing with an (admittedly trivial) issue of the heart and I've been dying to talk to someone about it, that this seems a safe place to do so. I'm probably a little older than most of the people who come here for help, but I'm only 22 so I don't think it's weird yet for me to post here.

The issue is this: A new girl moved into my flat about a month ago. Basically she's more on my level than anybody I have met in years. Maybe ever. She's a weirdo, depressed, a druggie, vaguely racist, apathetic and morbid as all hell, which makes her a joy to be around because I'm all of those things too! She's also highly perceptive, witty, worldly, has good taste in movies and is just plain cool... Yeah you get get the picture, I'm smitten with her.

After she moved in we became fast friends, and from day one I was hoping the friendship would turn into something more, but I don't think that's the way things are going. I've tried to make flirty jokes, compliment her appearance, talk about other girls and the like to remind her that I have a penis, but I've either been too subtle or she deliberately hasn't noticed. Now she's telling me personal things, which in a way is good because it means she trusts me, but is also very very bad because she obviously doesn't feel like she needs to impress me. You don't tell a possible romantic interest about the time the corners of your mouth got infected from your bulimic vomiting, for example (She's not wrong to trust me, I would never have shared that were this not an anonymous web forum).

So here I am, deep in the friend zone. If we had any mutual female friends I'd just ask them to talk me up but we don't. Our only mutual acquaintances are our other flatmates, one of whom is an asshole and the other who is good hearted but so totally useless at subtlety that he would probably come out with "So Alex is pretty cool isn't he? I heard his ex say he's good in bed!" shortly before telling her everything. I've thought about telling her how I feel but I think this is a bad idea. She obviously only sees me as a friend right now, so it would only make things uncomfortable and rob me of my daydreams for no benefit. I have no idea how to proceed, I don't even really know what to ask. I'm in "like a brother" territory and I want out! I don't care that she's fucked in the head, or that she's my flatmate my mind is made up, I want her and sooner or later I'll make a move. I guess I just want advice on how to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    difficult situation. Normally I would just flat out tell her, but she lives in your flat and chances are rather good that you will be rejected and it's usually rather awkward afterwards, and you can't really avoid each other, while living with each other. So you can either try and bear with a rejection while she's still living there or have her move out then (she might be thinking about that herself then), or you can leave it and enjoy the friendship, but I don't think that's gonna make you happy. It's not like you can get over her easy while living with her.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    difficult situation. Normally I would just flat out tell her, but she lives in your flat and chances are rather good that you will be rejected and it's usually rather awkward afterwards, and you can't really avoid each other, while living with each other. So you can either try and bear with a rejection while she's still living there or have her move out then (she might be thinking about that herself then), or you can leave it and enjoy the friendship, but I don't think that's gonna make you happy. It's not like you can get over her easy while living with her.

I don't think flat out telling her is a good idea. If my feelings were reciprocated I'd be able to tell, and I'd just kiss her when the time was right. If I have to tell her how I feel then she will either be surprised, and I will seem too keen and blow any chance I might have had, or she will already know and have chosen to ignore it, and I will needlessly embarrass myself. I'd hate for her to move out but I doubt that would happen, I'd like to think I'm mature enough not to make her uncomfortable with unwanted affection, and I really doubt she's the sort to freak just because somebody has a crush on her. When the time comes if I do get rejected I'll just pretend like I don't really care, that whatever move I made was a spur of the moment thing and keep my discomfort to myself. I don't think I'm likely to lose the friendship because of this.

I'd like to not get rejected though, so any ideas on making her see that I am not this non-threatening, little brother-like dude she seems to think I am would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    Hmm toughie..best advice I've got is when you're both maybe a little drunk (because lets face it, drunken antics are easily forgotten mostly) just mention that you're really horny then ask her in a half jokey half serious way if she fancies a throw down. You will probably be able to gauge from her reaction where you stand and who knows, it may even get you laid.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Hmm toughie..best advice I've got is when you're both maybe a little drunk (because lets face it, drunken antics are easily forgotten mostly) just mention that you're really horny then ask her in a half jokey half serious way if she fancies a throw down. You will probably be able to gauge from her reaction where you stand and who knows, it may even get you laid.

HAHAHA! I can just imagine if I said that! "I'm a little horny, do you fancy a throw down?" We're messed up but we're still middle class, she'd look at me like I was from another planet! :D

But yeah being a bit drunk seems like a good idea. Neither of us are big drinkers (we both favour other poisons) but I'm sure we'll end up drinking together sooner or later.
  • Options
    If you dont ask you dont get mate, better to take a risk than wonder 'what if' all your life!