Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scars from self harming...thoughts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, im new here and just wanted to ask people for some advice maybe.
I used to self harm from the age of 12 untill i was about 20, i am now 23 and i am left with some bad scarring. i have some which are not too visible on my upper arms but i have serious scarring on my upper thighs.
i can sometimes be self conscious about them but they are not usually seen by people so its ok.
but i am now due to go on holidays with my partner and his family for a family wedding in spain.. we are all staying in the same place so its inevitable that they are going to see my scarring and i dont want to bring anytone down while on holidays if they ask me what happened and i tell them the truth, and to be honest im not sure if i feel comfortable with them all knowing as my boyfriends father works as a social care worker and im afraid he might end up seeing me as a victim and i definitely dont want that.
i have dealt with my deamons and this is the 1st time it bothered me to be honest. any suggestions on how to deal with this or what to say to the questions to make it as less awkward as possible would be appriciated :) thanks

Comments

• Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Welcome to TheSite.org dizzybunny5! :wave:

Hopefully you will find all the support and advice that you are looking for.

Self-harm scars can be an unwelcome reminder of the past and it’s completely understandable that you’d prefer some people not knowing. There are a number of temporary or permanent treatments to reduce your scars and make them less noticeable. Have a look at our Scars and treatments article to get more information on the different kinds of creams and surgeries available.

You could also contact a number of different organisations to find out which treatment would suit your scars the best. The British Association of Skin Camouflage provides details of local cosmeticians who can advise you on the best methods. The Red Cross also has a free skin camouflage service teaching simple techniques at various local branches.

Don’t feel pressured into telling anyone about your self-harming history – only confide when you’re 100% comfortable. If you’re put in a position where you’re being asked awkward questions, don’t feel pressured into giving answer. Say as much or as little as you’re ready to say and be confident with your answers. It’s nothing to be ashamed about and it seems to me like you’ve become a stronger individual because of your experiences.

Hope this helps and I hope you have a relaxing holiday!:cool:

C
    :thumb: