Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New Forrest - Camping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone been tent camping in or around the New Forrest area?

Any recommended sites? especially ones that might let you have a real log fire and be more suited to a bunch of friends in their 20's & 30's going camping rather then family and kids?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I haven't been camping there, but i've been through there and there are looaaaads of campsites,
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g186297-New_Forest_Hampshire_England-Vacations.html

i've always found trip advisor to be quite good :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    DG wrote: »

Any recommended sites? especially ones that might let you have a real log fire and be more suited to a bunch of friends in their 20's & 30's going camping rather then family and kids?

There is only one camp site in the Forest that allows you to have your own fires.

http://www.hurstviewleisure.co.uk/open-camp.htm
    I've stayed there quite bit when were younger and we used to go fishing from Milford shingle bank.

It's quite well situated because It's in the touristy part of the Forest - where the stuff to do isn't far away. It's the oposite side of th New Forest to where I live where it's really quite quiet.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i live in the newforest area, and all the campsites i know don't really allow fires, but the post above said one
    also, most of them don't really let you do young people stuff, like get drunk and have loud music

but if you are gonna camp, what ever you do don't come ashurst campsite, nearest one to me, its a fucking shit hole, last year the loos broke and they didn't fix them for like 3 weeks

trust me, don't go there, its in a good area, just shit one, if you wanna go that area go brockenhurst campsite, tad smaller but much nicer
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    i live in the newforest area

Ashurst? I drink down the Happy Cheese quite a bit in the summer.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ohhhh I went camping with the guides in the new forest and we had lots of fires but then i guess guide campsites trust you to be better behaved than normal ones.

In general the new forest is lurrrvely
  • Options

I should say also looking at Dorset area as well if people have any suggestions for that area
  • Options
    I should say also looking at Dorset area as well if people have any suggestions for that area

Swanage/Lulworth area is best. Don't know of any specific campsites that way though.

Best thing you can do is try and rent a Mudeford beach hut. We used to own one years ago (their outragously expensive to buy now) but you can rent them for about £400 a week and they sleep between 4-6 people depeding on the hut. It's qutie late to book one now though you might be able to find one. They're situated on a spit of sand with the harbour one side and the solent on the other.

I used to love it down there.
    Weekender Offender