Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

prescription refund?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just got a prescription for anti-Malaria tablets Mefloquine (Larium) which you take weekly. I'm supposed to start taking them 3 weeks before I go abroad giving me time to swap medication if there are any side effects.

I need £40-50 worth, if I need to change will I be able to get a refund? Or do you think I could get 2/3 tablets and get the rest once I know about the side-effects?

Comments

• Options
    If its on prescription then i doubt you will get a refund.
  • Options
    if its one prescription then it will only be £7.20 doesn't matter how long its meant to last you...
  • Options
    You can't get larium on prescription as its not an essential drug - I would imagine you could get a few to see how you get on and then buy the rest but you might need to get two prescriptions from the doctor to do so - which the doctor may change you for - I think at my doctor they charge about £10 a time for a private prescription.
  • Options
    You can only get refunds if you have an exemption certificate (medical or income) and weren't meant to pay, I think.
  • Options
    I think there might be some confusion going on here.

Some anti-malarials are only avaliable on prescription, but it's a private presription not an NHS one hence the charges.

You can't return medication for a refund as it can't be resold because of the risk of tampering or contamination.

Your best bet is probably to talk to the place you're going to be getting it from and see what they say. It may be the only way they're willing to do it is by you getting two prescriptions, one for a small quantity and one for the rest. This will obviously incur two sets of private prescription charges. They may be willing to supply part of the prescription initially and then the remainder a week later which may then leave scope for you to cancel the remainder.