Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can Anyone Help Me Out.

I suffer from post trumatic stress disorder and my psychologist said EMDR could help me get rid of the flash backs.

Can Anyone Explain What EMDA Is? or What happens? Has Anyone Had It? Cause I'm Realy Scared And Don't Want To Have It

Ally xx

Comments

• Options
    Hi alli

I also suffer from PTSD, and i was offered this treatment, i was going to take it up, but the only reason i didn't is that i was offered art therapy instead - which is something i've wanted to do for years.

EMDA is essencially a process of reprogramming memories to reduce the stress caused by them. Its very safe, and many many people find it helpful. theres nothing to be scared of :)

heres a link you might find helpful-

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/emdr_therapy.htm
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Thanks TT, it's nice for Ally to know someone who's done this before.

Ally, what are your worries about this? Please don't be too scared - it wont hurt at all, the therapist will guide you through every step, and you can be optimistic about real improvement to your life afterwards...

Soph
  • Options
    Thanks Twisted Trinity,
    That Link Was Helpfull I Now Understand It A Bit More xD.

Soph, I'm Worried About Having To Relive These Flashbacks Again, And I Think I'm Just More Scared Cause It Never Got Explained To Me.

Thanks For The Advise
    Ally xx
  • Options
    Check your PMs:thumb:
  • Options
    often the best way is to relive the flashbacks in order to deal with them. I'm in the process of recovery, and i have to often sit with really unpleasent thought, feelings and images, but i know that this is the best way of me making sense of it all and for me to move forward...you do often have to go back in order to go forward...
  • Options
    Thanks Twisted Trinity I Feel A Lot Better Now I've Spoken To You And Understand It More.
    Ally xx