Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

High Blood Sugar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive recently been told I have this,6.7%,and am wondering exactly what kind of complications this involves?
SHould I still eat normally,drink the same stuff or what?
Im actually really worried about what I eat now.

Comments

• Options
    It sounds like you have diabetes is that what your gp told you it is to do with blood sugar level?
  • Options
    If that is the case you cannot eat foods with any sugar. Do you know what type you have?
  • Options
    If it was diabetes, they would have said diabetes, high blood sugar can be a precursor to type two diabetes though. Your GP should have given you a diet plan or a list of foods that are you can eat and that you can avoid.

Get back on to your doctor i think
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hiya,
    If it was diabetes, they would have said diabetes, high blood sugar can be a precursor to type two diabetes though. Your GP should have given you a diet plan or a list of foods that are you can eat and that you can avoid

I think this is about right. Was it actually your GP that told you about this condition, and did they discuss with you any ways to control or treat it?

I would not necessarily recommend wikipedia for medical information, but in this case it might be a good thing to read, as it's one of the few websites that doesn't link hyperglycemia (or high blood sugar) directly to diabetes.

Anyway, please post with more details or more questions if you'd like. I hope you're feeling ok.

Soph
  • Options
    Generally blood sugar levels range from 4-7. This is generally seen as acceptable and the range that is generally aimed.

So your's is slighlty high but not over the limit, maybe thats why your Dr has not acted just yet. Have they asked you back for a repeat blood sugar check? Also it can depend on foods you have just recenlty eaten too, if you have just ate, for example, a large meal or mars bar that could cause it to go higher than normal.

Increased blood sugars can also occur if you are stressed or during an infection or inflammation.

If you are worried then I would go back to see your Dr :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There could be many reasons for high blood sugar. Don't jump to the conclusion of diabetes, just because you know that blood sugar is related to that.

My advice? Talk to your GP. If your GP told you this then I'm sure that they would've told you what you should / shouldn't do. If they didn't, then go back.

If you did the test with a diabetic mate who has the equipment and the results have worried you, go see your GP and get the test done properly, under the correct conditions.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    becks27 wrote: »
    If that is the case you cannot eat foods with any sugar. Do you know what type you have?

This is not true. You *can* eat foods with sugar. You just need to be more aware of what foods you can and cannot eat and be more aware of sugar content. You cannot gorge on chocolate every day, but to say you cannot eat sugar is wrong.
  • Options
    Well,it was a random blood test at the GUM clinic,the pin in the finger one.
    They said I had a urethra water infection so possibly that could cause it?
    I also had a cup of tea with a few sugars a few hours before too.
    Im going to the gp to set up a proper blood test appoinment this week though and am being careful with what I eat too.
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote: »
    Well,it was a random blood test at the GUM clinic,the pin in the finger one.
    They said I had a urethra water infection so possibly that could cause it?
    I also had a cup of tea with a few sugars a few hours before too.
    Im going to the gp to set up a proper blood test appoinment this week though and am being careful with what I eat too.

It could be the infection that caused it to slightly increase!

I've tested my blood sugars a few times and they have always been all over the place. Once being as low as 2.3 but I've been tested for diabetes and I definatly don't have it!

I would see what your Dr says, he may take some blood to rule out diabetes and may test your blood sugar again. But I honeslty wouldn't worry about it atm :)
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Yes, it's quite possible that the person at this GUM clinic just mentioned it informally as something to keep an eye on, but you're absolutely doing the right thing in booking an appointment with your GP just to make sure. :yes:
    If you have any more questions though, you know where to come!