Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car problems!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello - first post!

Basicly im looking for an answer to a weird car problem. I bought a new 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 2 weeks ago. The driver previous owner was old and didn't drive the car much - which was reflected in the mileage, 15000 miles in 6 years.

I bought the car a week before I actually passed my test, so the car was sitting, unused (well with the radio on for a short time) for a week before I used it. On the day I passed my test I went out in my car and it was working fine. However when I stopped the car, I went to start it again about 10 minutes later and it was completely lifeless. When I say lifeless, I mean when I turned the key to start the car, it just didn't make any sound, and no attempt to start. So, I got my dad to jump start it and as soon as I jump started it, it worked fine ever since..... until tonight!

Tonight, the same thing happened. Stopped for about half an hour, and then went to start the car and nothing. The only thing which was happened different was you could here a clicking sound when i turned the key to start the car but completely lifeless - the lights were dim, like last time and nothing worked. My mate had to jump start me - and again it was fine after that.... does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Any help really would be appreciated and sorry it was so long ^^!

Ryan

Comments

• Options
    not turning over, dim lights? i'd say the batts fucked,
  • Options
    Yeah if I had to guess it would be a dead battery, which would be confirmed by it not having been used much.

If you can get it started with jump leads, then take it on a few long drives that might charge her up, though you may be best just getting a new battery from Halfords or something.
  • Options
    Defo battery - if its been at inactive the battery will have lost charge. There may have been enough to get it going at first. You need to get it going either jump start again or charge the battery then take the car for a decent length trip to get the battery charged up. Same thing happened to my car before I passed my test and could use it regularly.

If yourenot going to be using it on a regular basis it might be worth investing in a battery charger or some jump leads :)
  • Options
    I heard somewhere it takes on average ten minutes driving to charge a battery from just turning the engine on, lights,heaters,radios use more "apparently"
  • Options
    I'd try the battery first but if a new battery keeps dying then theres a problem with the alternator - this is the thing that charges the battery while your driving.
  • Options
    UPDATE !

Well! Ive just been to halfords and the battery and altenator are completely fine - they are both in good working,health order! I thought it was the battery to but it appears its not. He told me to go on a big journey - I told him Ive been to Bangor from were I live - which is about 23 miles but he said it needs to be a really really long run to get charged. Do you's think this would work?
  • Options
    It might do - you could also see if anyone you know has a car battery charger which you can leave it on overnight and charge it up.

I have on going problems with the batteries on two of my cars - one of which has annoyingly gone flat a week after we bought a new battery - we also managed to kill the starting handle so now the only way we can get it going it is to bump start it...
  • Options
    Yes my dad has a car battery charger - I am going to charge it up tonight... fingers crossed its ok! Have you found out what is causing your batteries to go flat?
  • Options
    Stick it on charge overnight. TBH a 20 mile journey - especially in each direction - should get your battery pretty well charged.

My car only ever does 10 miles each way - with three restarts on the return journey usually. That's not ran out of electric in the last 6 months.

If it does it again, you've a weak battery or/and alternator. A multimeter should give you a good idea as to the health of each. :)
  • Options
    Due to the power needed to fire up a car, it can take around 20 miles to fully replenish the battery from when the car was started - obviously with the newer batteries, this shouldn't be the case.

I'd take it on a long run - 50 miles or so each way.

To be honest, i think it's poss an immobiliser problem - because if your battery was flat, or low on power, it would still crank.

Try starting your car with your headlights on - if they go dim, then all is ok with your battery, if they go off, it's new battery time.

As someone has mentioned, try using a multimeter - if your dad has a battery charger, he'll probably also have a multimeter. God bless dads :thumb:
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my corsa. Sometimes it would decide not to start. Mechanic had no idea what was wrong and when it went for its m.o.t they replaced the crank sensor...

No problems since then :thumb:
  • Options
    I had the same problem with my corsa. Sometimes it would decide not to start. Mechanic had no idea what was wrong and when it went for its m.o.t they replaced the crank sensor...

No problems since then :thumb:

Flip - whats the crank sensor - I assume it failed to MOT cause of this?
  • Options
    It failed the mot but not cos of that. Not too sure what the crank sensor does...connects something to the engine...or the battery...You might be better asking someone in the know really! vauxhall garages in my region didnt have a clue so i think its something that happens to a lot of corsas but not that many people know how to fix. Mines cost me £40, and it was such a relief when my car stopped doing it. So if nothing else does the trick, it might be worth replacing the crank sensor :)
  • Options
    I had this once and apparently it was a dirty connection. I also have a corsa but an older one.
  • Options
    Crank sensor talks to the ECU, telling it where the bottom half of the engine currently is. Without a decent signal, the engine wouldn't know when to inject fuel or to spark the mixture. Though some engines also have a crankshaft sensor, which can give much the same information... :)
  • Options
    Ah, now i know. Thanks :)