Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skype and broadband restrictions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently found downloaded Skype and used it to talk to my cousin who also has skype. I thought this was totally free.

My dad then storms in and says that our provider doesnt allow skype usage without paying extra.

Its plusnet - so i looked on the website and I think its only if i'm using it for making phonecalls rather than just skype to skype chat.

Can someone just reassure me?! He said he'd cut my internet off if I cost him anything...?!

Comments

• Options
    Skypes free i use it all the time
  • Options
    penguin85 wrote: »
    Its plusnet - so i looked on the website and I think its only if i'm using it for making phonecalls rather than just skype to skype chat.
    Yup. Unless you have very low download limit or something.
  • Options
    Skype-to-Skype is free. Skype-to-phone will cost money but it won't be your dad that gets charged. You arrange the Skype credit for yourself in the same way that your arrange PAYG credit for your mobile phone.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Unless your provider has some kind of scam going on where they record Skype traffic and charge you for it (which was the impression I got after reading the first post). It's doable but I doubt it's legal.
  • Options
    Nah, Plusnet are a major company and they outstrip most providers on ADSL criteria. The data transferred by Skype won't be a patch on what Plusnet (and most ISPs) will allow. The only time when Skype can potentially be a problem is on mobile providers where they only allow i.e. 1GB of transfers per month.