Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Fetching

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm attempting fetching... http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTfetching.html

I can work dpns and cables no problem, but I'm having trouble with the casting on! I usually work 2-3 rounds straight, then transfer to dpns so the stitches don't get pulled around, but I'm having trouble with this because its 4x1 rib whatever I do I seem to end up so the 4 is purled and the 1 is knit! My purl is looser than knit so I want it to be the other way around!

I then tried to cast on and transfer straight to dpn but there was massive gaps between stitches and it got all twisted and I got annoyed :mad:

Help meeeeeee arghhh!

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    When you are working your 4X1 rib in straights you do:
    Row 1: knit 4, purl 1 repeat to end.
    Row 2: knit 1, purl 4 repeat to end.
    Repeat these 2 rows.

An easy way for me to remember is to knit the knits and purl the purls.

Once you transfer the stitches onto your DPNs, you need to make sure that they are the right way, with the stockinette stitches (ie the knit stitches) on the outside of the DPNs, instead of the inside. It doesn't matter if you have to turn your knitting round to do this.

Hope this helps a bit. It's quite tricky to explain without having the knitting in front of you. Fetching is such a great pattern. I have made 2 sets of these and would make more :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you are working your 4X1 rib in straights you do:
    Row 1: knit 4, purl 1 repeat to end.
    Row 2: knit 1, purl 4 repeat to end.
    Repeat these 2 rows.

An easy way for me to remember is to knit the knits and purl the purls.

Once you transfer the stitches onto your DPNs, you need to make sure that they are the right way, with the stockinette stitches (ie the knit stitches) on the outside of the DPNs, instead of the inside. It doesn't matter if you have to turn your knitting round to do this.

Hope this helps a bit. It's quite tricky to explain without having the knitting in front of you. Fetching is such a great pattern. I have made 2 sets of these and would make more :)

Yep I did the 4x4 rib like that and it was all good until I transfered it to dpns with the stockinette on the outside, but then when I knit the 4 part of the rib it was the wrong stitch and it got a bump! I didn't want to purl because then it would all be in purl and my knitting would be too loose. I don't know if I'm explaining this right lol

How many rows should I do straight before I transfew to dpns?

Argh I don't know why I'm having so much trouble!
    I'd guess you're having problems cause you're knitting a circular pattern flat? The pattern is written to transfer to DPNs after you cast on, without knitting owt at all.

So when you come to the end of a row circular-ly, you start again at the start of the row, but when you knit straight, you work back from the end of the row to the beginning. Does that make any sense? So if you wanted to work a circular pattern flat, you'd have to knit every second row backwards, and sub knits for purls and vice versa.
    Olive wrote: »
    I'd guess you're having problems cause you're knitting a circular pattern flat? The pattern is written to transfer to DPNs after you cast on, without knitting owt at all.

So when you come to the end of a row circular-ly, you start again at the start of the row, but when you knit straight, you work back from the end of the row to the beginning. Does that make any sense? So if you wanted to work a circular pattern flat, you'd have to knit every second row backwards, and sub knits for purls and vice versa.

:yes:

But when I knit straight from dpns there's a massive gap between the needles - have always had this trouble with dpns which is why I knit a few rounds straight. I guess this is the only answer...

Is there a more sturdy cast on I could use? I just loop the yarn round my finger and onto the needle but its very easy to get big gaps between the stitches
    Try the long tail cast on - I find it loads easier to control, although its not as stretchy, so you may need to cast on with bigger needles initially if you need a bit of stretch.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on

:)
    Or use the cable cast on. That's the one that is mentioned in the pattern. It's quite simple and is also on knitting help :)
    Ah I will try those and hopefully it will help. I think I was using single cast on and between the needles was about an inch of yarn! I was mad

Do you normally knit straight from dps or do a few rows straight when knitting in the round?

I really want to start the gloves cos the cashmerino aran is soooooooooooo soft!
    oh what color are you making?
    kangoo wrote: »
    Ah I will try those and hopefully it will help. I think I was using single cast on and between the needles was about an inch of yarn! I was mad

Do you normally knit straight from dps or do a few rows straight when knitting in the round?

I really want to start the gloves cos the cashmerino aran is soooooooooooo soft!

Depending on the yarn and what I am making, I will do either. For the fetching, I cast on, split into the DPNs and then started. With socks and thinner yarn, I end up doing a couple of rows straight first, just because it is so fiddly. It depends :)

Cashmerino aran is just gorgeous :heart:
    I generally just cast on the DPNs and start, but then I am a sucker for punishment :p

I recently discovered the wonders of magic loop though (like, I know, where have I been?), so am casting aside my DPNs for a while!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I keep reading the title of this thread as felching. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Olive wrote: »
    I generally just cast on the DPNs and start, but then I am a sucker for punishment :p

I recently discovered the wonders of magic loop though (like, I know, where have I been?), so am casting aside my DPNs for a while!

I'm not sure about magic loop. I do like it but I am rather loyal to my DPNs. I think for socks and thinner yarn it can be quite good, though.
    oh what color are you making?

Purple - the colour is lush, and it's so so soft

Annoyed with fetching at the moment, so am leaving it for a few days to cool down! Haha.

Today is all about the granny squares - I am love love loving them - so simple, but colour change every round makes it fun. I'm getting good at crocheting in the ends as I go. Woohoo
    kangoo wrote: »
    Purple - the colour is lush, and it's so so soft

Annoyed with fetching at the moment, so am leaving it for a few days to cool down! Haha.

Today is all about the granny squares - I am love love loving them - so simple, but colour change every round makes it fun. I'm getting good at crocheting in the ends as I go. Woohoo

You will need to do something with them! Granny squares are so satisfying as they come up so quickly.
    Skive wrote: »
    I keep reading the title of this thread as felching. :D

me too :o
    You will need to do something with them! Granny squares are so satisfying as they come up so quickly.

Yep they do - amazingly fast! I've nearly done 10 squares each with 5 rounds. I can't stop! I keep accidentally picking up the hook for 'just one more round' and then I'm stuck there! I'm defo doing a blanket since they're so fast to make. I'm doing 5 rounds on each, then I'm going to do another round in a cream colour on all of them and then stitch up so it looks nice and neat. So excited!

Even yarn I hate in yucky colours looks nice in granny squares! I didn't used to like them but I'm converted! Maybe it's just cos I made them I love them so much lol