Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mirena coil experiences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well my dr and i have decided that this is the best contraception option for me and im going to have it fitted tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me the procedure, how painful it is and anything else i may need to know

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Take some painkillers before you go and say yes to any offer of local anaesthetic. The worst part for me was a couple of strong cramps - they literally lasted a couple of seconds while they were measuring my uterus and putting it in and then it was all done. Stay lying down on the table for a few minutes once it's done, your blood pressure can drop a bit after having a fitting.

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching DVDs with a hot water bottle and painkillers, then it was absolutely fine.

Got to get mine changed in 9 months :nervous: But if you get on with it, it's absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    Oooo thanks my pretty! I've arranged to get rid of the babies for the morning incase im there for ages.

PS i uploaded some baby pics on FB for your viewing pleasure :)
  • Options
    Saw them, they're gorgeous. You make such cute babies it makes me want to talk you out of having an effective method of contraception :D
  • Options
    oh quick question, how long does the protection take to kick in?
  • Options
    well today/tomorrow is the last day of my period so straight away sounds good to me :D
  • Options
    Be interested to see how you get on as i am thinking of getting this too.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Be interested to see how you get on as i am thinking of getting this too.

I just had it put in five minutes ago, I am on day 6 of my cycle and I didn't take any painkillers or anesthetics. It wasn't painful at all, only a little uncomfortable. The worst part was when she was dilating the cervix which felt like a little bit of sharp pressure. After that it was just as if she was pressing around in there.

So far so good, just relax and I think it will be even easier than mine, I was pretty nervous and tense about It and the dr kept telling me to relax.
  • Options
    You have had a natural birth though yeah? I am guessing as i havent it will hurt more?
  • Options
    I haven't got the Mirana coil but I do have a coil fitted. The proceedure was quite short - i was up and about in about 25 minutes. It did feel uncomfortable when it was being inserted and I did have crams for the rest of the day but after that is was fine. Apart from my periods being heavier and cramps (always had this anyway) each month, It's the best choice I have made.
  • Options
    I was gonna say, it wont be pqinful as youve just had a baby, but youve found that out :)
    When i had my last one put in, 3 mths after anais was born, I bqrely felt it.
    The other ti,es it did hurt though
  • Options
    well next time i decide to get one, i'll wait until after i've had another baby :p