Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Painkillers

Can you get anything stronger than nurofen from over the counter at chemists?

I've got a problem with my hip that started last year. I've been taking it ever since and its getting less and less effective.

Thanks.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you not go to the doctors and get it sorted out, and perhaps something prescribed?
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure you can. probably best to ask them about it so they can point you in the right direction, and by them i mean the chemists.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Can you not go to the doctors and get it sorted out, and perhaps something prescribed?

:yes:

Also, long term use of anti-inflammatory painkillers can be quite damaging to your body, so your doctor may want to prescribe you some other medicine to protect your stomach.
  • Options
    Yeah, too much ibuprofen gives you stomach ulcers, you shouldn't take it regularly for long periods of time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Im trying to get an appointment with my GP because I can't take the pain from my hip anymore. As I mentioned, the nurofens not working as well as it used to. I'd rather get it from the chemist because my GPs kind of far away and it hurts to move.
  • Options
    I've you're suffering from long term pain then you need to get medical advice, your GP is the best place to start for this.

Short term use of over the counter type pain killers is fine, but you shouldn't take them long term without professional guidance. You also need to be much more careful taking nurofen long term as it can give you stomach ulcers. Need to make sure you take it with food etc.

Pain management is a fine art, but one that can be mastered for many with good guidance, BUT you need the guidance. If you've got on going pain in your hip you should also really get it looked out to see if your GP can shed any light on what may be causing it.

Treating the cause of pain is a much better way to get rid of it than trying to mask the pain itself.

Short term you can I believe now get voltarol over the counter, but that's only suitable for a couple of days use. Anything longer and you need to get it from a doctor. You can also do clever thing with carefully timing when you take pain medication and using more than one type, but to do this you need professional advice.

In short, yes, you can get much better pain management than you're currently getting by just getting ibuprofen over the counter, but you're going to have to see your GP.

If your GP is really far away then you should consider registering at a closer one. And if you're in pain and it hurts to move, then you're better off long term putting the effort in to going to see the doctor and getting some decent relief than you are contining to suffer.
  • Options
    Go to your GP, and tell them that the pain managemnet isnt working and you need somethings stronger/different to help. Plus that can they get passed on to get the main problem sorted. You shouldnt be living in constant pain and you should be getting the short/long term pain managemnet you need, even though you shouldnt have to comaplin to get it.