Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I think I might be depressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've felt blue before, we all do, but recently I seem to feel blue a lot. its a hopeless sensation almost as well, rather than just feeling a bit fed up with work or whatever it actually feels like I've been kicked in the gut, or dumped, or something. Then again its nowherer near as intense as being dumped.

this past weekend i tried to make myself feel better as often i find doing simple activities is a cure in itself. however after filling up my weekend with random chores and activities i still didnt feel much better. one thing that does help me feel better is an off label prescription i take but its not an anti depressant, maybe it is just a placebo effect as it only normally lasts a few hours anyway, so if i take it in the morning i will feel pretty chuffed, good until maybe 5-6pm.

ive never been to the doctor about mental health issues, but have had family members and friends who have had issues. ive thought about it before but always adopted a mind over matter approach but these past few days and weeks that approach hasnt been working, the grimness of the world doesn't leave when i do something positive, its all i can do to just shift the focus from feeling miserable to something else whether its calling a friend and asking about their day or doing chores and stuff for people.

Comments

• Options
    Just Relax!!!!

I understand how you are feeling in a minor way.. too have been feeling down, not wanting to participate in any outside activities or be around alot of people. I wouldn't call it depression to be exact maybe we take in alot of other people problems in and instead we worrrying about our situation first we try to solve someone elses. i think you should go see a doctor pespecially if you taking unprescribed pills it can have an effect on your nerves,but if you do show signs in depression such as: loss in sexual desires, suicide thoughts, helpless,sad ect. then you should really talk to someone rather than you trying to do it yourself.
    but take a day at a time just relax go on a vacation to clear your head
    1 on 1 time with your mind it may not sound helpful or fun but it could help
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hi,
    You do sound like you're not your normal self, so well done for seeking help like this. I just wondered whether or not you'd had a look at some of the advice sheets on TheSite.org about depression? There are some links to the right which might also help you uncover what is causing this state of mind.

One of these is Overcome Depression, which sounds like it might be up your street, beacuse it offers a number of alternative ways of thinking about and treating depressed thoughts. Things like your diet and exercise habits can make a huge difference, as I'm sure you know if you've got friends and family that have been through this.

But if this goes on a long time, I would want to stress that going to the doctor is probably the best step to a long term solution. Can you say how long you've been feeling like this?

Take care of yourself...
  • Options
    Hey

I know how you feel. How are you today?
    I went to the doctors and can safely say it helped me. Maybe if you are not feeling better soon you should go? :)
  • Options
    you might be right, its just that i dont like doctors and dont think they take things seriously or sympathetically a lot of the time. today i am ok but like the other day still not great.
  • Options
    I wasn't keen on going to the doctors either but a friend offered to go with me and it made it easier. Is there anyone that could go with you?
    It might be worth giving it a try and it could put your mind at rest.
  • Options
    I wasn't keen on going to the doctors either but a friend offered to go with me and it made it easier. Is there anyone that could go with you?
    It might be worth giving it a try and it could put your mind at rest.

Amazing idea! :yes: If not, here is the official NHS guide to depression, which actually says 'if you're in a crisis of depression, contact your GP as soon as possible'. It also gives information on knowing the symptoms of depression, so you can decide for yourself whether to seek support from a GP.

It's entirely up to you of course. I'm sure other users will be more than happy to share their experiences of seeing doctors about mental illness.

I hope you're feeling even better today.
  • Options
    I am thanks soph. I had stopped taking my tablets and I felt depressed after that, even suicidal. I was convinced to start taking them again and whether it is a placebo or not effect the world just seems a better place to be. Still begs the question whether I should consider seeing a doctor as I doubt that taking off-label medication for extended periods is the recommended course of action, however - it seems to be working for me as it is.
  • Options
    I think you have a point there. Do you know what exactly the active ingredient is? What makes you feel more comfortable taking those than any medication which the doctor might prescribe you?

You sound very sensible and in control, so I'm not nagging, I promise, just asking!

Soph