Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

i'm sure it's fine but...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey all, i'm new here but i kind of have a problem

well, i was talking to a friend and they are going through a bit of a rough patch, and they have been thinking about suicide but today they claimed to have a sore head that wouldn't go away so they proceeded to take about 10 extra strong pain killers...is this bad? i mean they're not going to pass out on me are they? i'm really worried! please help!

Comments

• Options
    10 extra strong painkillers? I'd say you have a reason to be worried. Get them to the hospital to get checked out.
  • Options
    It's probably not enough to kill them BUT take them to A&E anyway because it could still be very dangerous. If they won't go to A&E call them an ambulance.
  • Options
    mmm... ok confession time i suppose....

it wasn't a friend that took them it was me, but i did have a sore head and it wouldn't go away... i just got a bit carried away. i don't really know what my intentions were. I just feel sick, and dizzy and my breathing feels kinda werid but i think thats just coz i panicked a bit...
  • Options
    Painkillers dont take effect straight away, so when you take a couple, dont feel that you need to take more straight away. Plus as well, the effects of 10 might not have even fully started yet, its only been an hour or something right?
  • Options
    yeah it only been like an hour and a half or something.
    but i kinda want to take more...
    I wont but the thought is still there.
  • Options
    What pain killers were they?

Seriously though I would seek some medical help, like someone has said it can tak a while for them to kick in.
  • Options
    I'd seek medical attention asap, tbh.
  • Options
    i dunno the box says extra strong pain relief. i feel okay. i'm more scared about what my intentions were/are, i don't know what to think. it probably would be better if i wasn't here.
  • Options
    It can effect your heart rate without you noticing, i had to take a friend into A&E because of an overdose recently, and they were really worried that she took paracetamol because it can have bad effects on the liver (and other organs) :/ I would go to A&E just be be safe.

(she didnt take much, but they hooked her up to an ECG machine just to monitor her... better safe than sorry!)
  • Options
    Hey nototherusername :wave:

We will write more information in another post after this, but to echo what everyone has rightly suggested, we would advise you to go to A&E to get checked out as soon as possible. Is there anyone that can go with you?

More stuff to follow - but wanted to get this message to you ASAP.

Take care - :):)
  • Options
    Hey again,

We all hope that you are OK? How are you feeling right now?

Taking any more than the recommended dose of any drug has its dangers and risks, and as has been said - even though you may feel OK now, some of the affects may not be noticeable until hours, days, weeks or even years after you have taken the overdose. It is always best to get some medical advice and help. As has been suggested, your best option tonight is to get to A&E either by someone taking you, or call 999 for an ambulance.

Perhaps you could check out our page on overdosing too? You could also speak to someone at NHS Direct (0845 46 47).

At some point you may also find it useful to talk to someone at either Childline - 0800 11 11 (if you are under 19) or The Samaritans - 08457 90 90 90. Talking confidentially can often help to work through what is going on for you and help you to look at your intentions behind taking the pills.

We all hope you get the help you need, Keep posting and let us know how you get on. :)
  • Options
    Hey

Thnx
    I feel ok just now, my head is sore and I feel a bit dizzy and tired but apart from that. I'm fine. I can't go to A&E as there is noone to take me and I don't think it's worth calling an ambulance :/
  • Options
    Hey

Thnx
    I feel ok just now, my head is sore and I feel a bit dizzy and tired but apart from that. I'm fine. I can't go to A&E as there is noone to take me and I don't think it's worth calling an ambulance :/

It IS worth calling an ambulance for. That is what they are there for. If you are unsure why not call NHS Direct first? :)
  • Options
    well...i'm still here, but i'm still trying to work out if that is a good thing.

it's been a long day and nothing i seem to do cheers me up, i'm so tired i felt like i havn't slept but i had like 10hrs last night. i hate this!
  • Options
    Well we are all glad that you are here :yes:

Take things one day at a time and perhaps try to get some rest. Even though you have slept, your body may still have some recovering to do. Our bodies do the most healing when we are asleep.

Did you manage to check out any of the resources posted earlier?

Have you ever taken an overdose or self-harmed before? Don't worry if you don't want to answer that, but the reason we ask is that if it's something that you have tried before - it might be worth talking to you GP about it to see if they can offer you any support?

Take care :)
  • Options
    Yeah thanx I had a look, they were very helpful.

I have self harmed before, the last time I cut myself was about 4 months ago? I think I will go to my gp soon but I'm scared if I tell the truth about the extent of things they might get other people involved.