Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

temporary hair color in a box

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard temporary boxed hair color is less harsh than perm hair color. Is this true? I want to add more of a ginger color to my hair but it got pretty rough after relaxing it and I don't want to end up bald ;)

Also, from my readings here, a lot of the brands seem to be the same for hair color,so can anybody reccomend one? I went to the store and saw one brand that wasn't permanent :\

Comments

• Options
    I use semi permanent and permanent colour from a box on a fairly regular basis and never had a problem with it. As I only colour half my hair I've got a reasonable comparison and the coloured bits are in no different condition to the natural bits.

Schwarkopf Live XXL is usually my one of choice, but that's mainly on colour grounds.
  • Options
    I would go with semi permanent rather than permanent. I was told by my hairdresser it's metallic substances in permanent dyes you need to be careful with - they dry the hair out and can react badly if you've had chemical treatments. Semi-permanent colours tend to be vegetable based so less damaging.
  • Options
    I *think* that perm dyes contain hydrogen peroxide as well as the colour, so it effectivly bleaches your hair and puts the colour on top, whereas semi perms are just the colour, so it depends on the natural colour of your hair, how bright the clour will be.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info :)

My hair is brown but goes red-ish in the summer. I just want it more red... or more ginger as opposed to red, really... so I guess that involves lightening it a bit which will probably leave me bald.