Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I was just wondering...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

I was just wondering if anyone here has phoned the Samaritans before as I am considering phoning them because I'm going through quite a rough patch but I'm scared as I don't know what to expect. I have no idea what to say first and was just wondering what it is like if you call them. If anyone could give me their expereinces (does not have to be in detail) I would greatful :)

also

it's been a really werid past few days. nothing seems to feel right, it's like everyone is moving at a faster pase than me but my head it racing and i'm not really connecting with people. It feels like the rooms are smaller and i'm really panicking. Its really werid i can't seem to tell the difference between reality and dreams i've had so i keep thinking stuff has happened when really it hasn't.
has anyone else had this coz it's really freaky and i'm home alone.

Thank you x

Comments

• Options
    Hey! I have and I was really worried as well before I rang. The hardest bit I found was actually dialling the number. Once the advisor answered I told them I was nervous about talking and they guided me through the conversation. He asked me general questions about how I was feeling, whether I was alone, etc. The more I talked the easier it was to get into the conversation.

It's hard to predict exactly how it will go because every situation is different. However, you're in control and if you feel uncomfortable at any time you can choose to end the conversation and the advisor won't mind at all.

If you wanted some advice, but didn't necessarily want to speak to anybody directly, the samaritans also do a text and email service. My txts have always been answered within 3-4 hours and my emails within 48 hours.

Hope it goes ok.
  • Options
    Heya :)

OK well I've only rang the Samaritans once, the first time being only a couple of days ago. So I can only base what I say on that one experience :) I was really nervous but I went ahead anyway because I wanted to at least give it a try.

I wasn't really expecting much, but I was really impressed with them. I first rang them and asked them to ring me back as I didn't have enough credit. I spoke to a lovely woman who gave me time to put on music so I wasn't heard, and she just reassured me and just basically asked me some guiding questions and I was able to get a lot out, and she listened.

The best thing about them is that they don't tell you what to do. They might make some suggestions, but unlike other people I've talked to about various things, they will let you make your own decisions, and help you through whatever you choose. They're completely non-judgemental and I genuinely felt comfortable talking to this woman which surprised me.

The conversation we had did have quite an effect on me, it helped me see options that I didn't really see before, and she really made me good when I needed it.

One thing just to warn you, as for me it did come as a bit of a shock. They may ask you if you're suicidal.... just so if you are they can help you explore the issue further.

Anyway, I really hope that if you still feel like calling them you can give it a go. Or contact them through another means like betsy suggested. They have quite a lot of info on their site, www.samaritans.org which may answer some of your questions.

All the best
  • Options
    Hey :)

Thnx That helped a lot. I tried to phone them but I couldn't bring myself to do it, and If I'm honest I really need to. I think it's coz I have no idea what to say but I'm going to try again...soon
  • Options
    Write down what you want to say before phoning it should make it easier.
  • Options
    re
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Write down what you want to say before phoning it should make it easier.

Yeah, that's a good idea!
  • Options
    mema wrote: »
    Hey :)

Thnx That helped a lot. I tried to phone them but I couldn't bring myself to do it, and If I'm honest I really need to. I think it's coz I have no idea what to say but I'm going to try again...soon

I think you will find that they will put you at ease and their manner will gently coax the conversation out of you, even if it takes a long time. They're not going to rush you. Everything will be at your pace. The quicker you call, the sooner you will get some release in talking about your problem.
  • Options
    I have had a couple of friends who have used them, excellent service, dont be afraid, there is nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Just to add, if you don't want to ring the Samaritans they run an email service too. If you email jo@samaritans.org someone will get back to you quickly to talk about whatever you want to talk about; at most you'll be waiting 24 hours for a response.
  • Options
    hey

thanks you guys, you're really helpful. i sent them an email.