Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Strange strand of hair

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I'm probably being a hypochondriac here, but let's be certain...

A few days ago I found a strange strand of hair on my shoulder. Not only was it abnormally long (it was longer than my head hair is, I think about the length of head hair that would reach the shoulder), it was also the wrong colour; white or blond, while my hair is black.
I can still find it, but it's shorter than it was now, but still white/blond and still too long for a shoulder hair.

Is this anything that should worry me?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nah i dont think so, I wouldnt be worried about anything like that.

Some other people might know something about it so dont take my word for it
  • Options
    and it's still attached to your head?
  • Options
    i wouldnt worry about this to much :) my boyfriend has quite long hairs on his shoulder, not as long as your describing, but its nothing to worry about :)
  • Options
    without sounding flippant im pretty sure it'll be okay...its a strand of hair, hehe :)
  • Options
    Could it be grey. Personally when I was my natural colour of blonde there was random strands of darker colours.
  • Options
    Grey hair grows more quickly than other hair. then (from memory) ginger, blond, brown and black (although I'm not sure where black goes)

was it attached or lose?

it colud have been a hir someone shed, that got on your clothing, then made its way through your washer and drier to your underthings.
  • Options
    I get random hairs all the time. Both me and Rich have repeat offenders - mine on my cheek and under my chin and his on his back/shoulders/collarbone - that we actively look for and pull out. He occasionally gets weird long ones too, once had one on his forehead that had apparently grown overnight.

Nothing to worry about :).
  • Options
    I could have sworn I've read somewhere that abnormal hairs could suggest some kind of cancer :blush:
    Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    Hey Ingrid Cold,

What everyone is saying is absolutely right. These kind of hairs can be harmless. However, it is always best to get it checked out if you are worried. If you don't want to see your Doctor about it - why don't you call the NHS direct line (0845 46 47) and visit their site? They may be able to provide you with some concrete medical advice.

Take care - :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Harry23 wrote: »
    Hey Ingrid

:D aww, your favourite name Indrid.

Harry23, you'll get to know these things the longer you're here, but Indrid Cold isn't based in the UK so sadly I don't think NHS Direct would be an option? Perhaps there's a Greek alternative, or you could just go and ask a pharmacist?
  • Options
    Ah it'll be fine, I've got one of them on my shoulder and another on my jaw line - tiny fine blonde hairs that grow much longer than all the other hairs around them, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about! Just pluck it out if it looks weird.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :D aww, your favourite name Indrid.

:blush: eek - sorry Indrid. Funny how the mind works isn't it? I'd always read Ingrid! Sound's like this may have happened before?!

Hopefully you can source a Greek alternative. But as Helen says - the pharmacy may be the best option.

Take care - :)
  • Options
    It's happened a few times hehe.
  • Options
    I've got used to the username being spelt wrong, hehe. No worries!
    I guess I might visit a pharmacy, thanks.