Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

polygamist lifestyle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi people,
what do you think about the topic?!
Is there someone who lives in polygamy relation? Or someone who is thinking of it, does some of you propose it to your partner ???
How you feel to share your emotions, feelings with more than one person? have you ever loved more than one person ?

Comments

• Options
    Are you referring to polyamory? That, and polygamy have some differences. Also worth answering your own question first.
  • Options
    no, i don't mean group sex..
    i mean the relationships with more than 1 person

I have one friend, one of the best, have some kind of feeling for him, but we've never been together, well, like in official relationship, we had fun together always we'd met. Then i've met my actually bf, we are together almost one year, i'm happy with him, i love him, but still think about my friend. He wasn't around for a couple of months, and few days ago texted me if we can meet. I get completly lost with myself, and start thinking thinking and thinking.. With some kind of fear i texted him back that i can't, next time. My bf knows our story. So the idea of polygamy relations is going in my head. Maybe it's selfish, want to have both of them, even just thinking cos i don't really believe that could happen. But i'm courios if some other people have something to say about it.
  • Options
    no, i don't mean group sex..
    i mean the relationships with more than 1 person

That's what I was referring to ;)

I don't think there's anything wrong with having feelings for more than one person, our capacity to love isn't finite, but if you're seriously considering going down a route of potentially having more than one partner, then it's important to talk, talk and talk again with your boyfriend. I've got some friends who have multiple relationships as opposed to sexual partners (in my case), it's worked for them so far. Have you read The Ethical Slut? Quite a nice book, very good on communication, the language is a bit crunchy 1970s feminist right on sista style, but it's a good read.
  • Options
    It's not for me.
  • Options
    I don't agree with it. Multiple sexual partners is fine, if it just revolves around sex and everyone knows this - then everyone is just having fun and no one gets hurt.
    When it comes down to relationships, people's feelings and emotion's are involved. It's human nature to become jealous and I think an experience like this could really destroy someone's trust in other people and relationships, morals and self esteem.
    It's not a crime to have feelings for more than one person at a time, I think we've all been there. Unfortunately though, you have to chose one or none at all, otherwise it's not fair on anyone.
  • Options
    Humans are just animals and we behave like animals unless exerting a certain amount of self-control.

For instance, swans are supposed to mate for life - but they don't. Given half a chance, the female will fuck with another male swan in the reeds, if its out of sight of its own male partner, because this ensures that its offspring come from a larger gene pool. Of course, if the male swan partner sees the other male shagging his missus, he gets jealous too and will attack him to chase him off his mate. So polygamy is a very 'primal' urge.

The whole notion of 'love' for one person and living faithfully with them for the rest of their lives is almost a recent 'invention' in human development. People used to marry for money and power but would get their sexual kicks from taking lovers. But the whole 'romantic' notion of a relationship is only a few hundred years old, influenced by Gothic novelists etc.
  • Options
    so..

So, a few days has gone..i tried to discuss with my bf, of course talking potentially, to make some point of his opinion. The answear was very clear! "if you gonna go with someone else you'll have to leave me"
    Ok, he's not for that. Not kind of free mind. But i love him, so i think i have to be happy with what i have :)

Could be interesting...
    Thanks for all your answears!
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'd find it pretty insulting if my girlfriend asked if she could start seeing other people.
  • Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I'd find it pretty insulting if my girlfriend asked if she could start seeing other people.

Exactly. Personally i think that if you want to sleep around and have lots of 'relationships' you should be single and not exclusive to one person
  • Options
    chups wrote: »
    So, a few days has gone..i tried to discuss with my bf, of course talking potentially, to make some point of his opinion. The answear was very clear! "if you gonna go with someone else you'll have to leave me"
    Ok, he's not for that. Not kind of free mind. But i love him, so i think i have to be happy with what i have :)

Could be interesting...
    Thanks for all your answears!

Well, at least you got to know how he really feels about it :)