Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Falklands - Worth It?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what does everyone think?

Was a small group of islands thousands of miles from here worth the lives of 235 odd british service men and millions of pounds?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, of course it was. Was the freedom of the islanders not worth fighting for? Should we have left them to be ruled by a junta?
  • Options
    It wasn't just the islands we were fighting for - it was the Britons who live there too.

I don't think the British response to the Argentinian invasion has ever been reasonably criticised....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Yes, of course it was. Was the freedom of the islanders not worth fighting for? Should we have left them to be ruled by a junta?

Why on Earth haven't we invaded Pakistan then? And China? Iraq? Iran? North Korea? Vietnam?

If our duty is to fight for freedom from dictatorships for every person on Earth, why isn't our army out there now doing it?

I think a shameless political stunt, executed by a Thatcher worried about her ailing popularity, certainly was not worth the lives of 235 soldiers and millions of pounds.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

If our duty is to fight for freedom from dictatorships for every person on Earth, why isn't our army out there now doing it?

Who said anything about 'every person on earth'...They were British citizens. They paid taxes and voted..Who are you to say their lives werent worth it? If you and your family were taken hostage, would you not expect the government to do all it could regardless of the cost?
  • Options
    Since then we as a nation have never looked back, 1982 was the rebirth of the UK, the Argies on the other hand have falledn to pieces.

P
  • Options
    And their football team is shit :D
  • Options
    Like Baldy said, they were British citizens. And the 235 British deaths were small cheese compared to the several thousand argentinian ones.
    Would your current stance be the same if the Isle of Man was invaded?
    Or do you feel that because the Isle of Man is physically closer, the lives of the people there are worth saving, as opposed to those unfortunate enough to be living in a colony in the Atlantic....?
  • Options
    It was a splendid little war...of course the crew of the Generalle Belgrano might argue...but how about those Exocet misseles eh?

F-4.gif
  • Options
    There was a peaceful solution to the Falklands issue which was joint soverenty, which the British govenment refused to consider outright! No war is ever worth fighting there are always peaceful solutions. It was just that there was rumoured to be oil reserves under the sea near the Falklands which were later confirmed and this was the reason that Britain refused to enter any negotiations of soverenty both during and after the Falklands war.

Joint soverenty is the obvious solution because the Islanders are British yet the the Islands are very close to Argentina. Also Argentina is no longer ruled by a military junta but by a democracy so the islanders have nothing to lose by joint ownership of the islands between Britain and Argentina.
  • Options
    Stealgate, we arent talking about the situation now :rolleyes: ..We dont need a 'solution now',..Life on the islands has never been better, the population never larger and Argentina is in a terrible situation with more to worry about than some islands in the sea.

Joint sovereignty..Interesting idea....I assume you support the same kind of thing for Palestine and Israel then? No war is ever worth fighting right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by stealgate
    No war is ever worth fighting there are always peaceful solutions...

Hmmm... couldn't create a more definitive characturization of cowardice. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by stealgate
    No war is ever worth fighting there are always peaceful solutions.

Peace at all costs... go hang out with your good friends Chamberlain and Halifax, will you? Know your history? Ever read this quote: "Chamberlain's three rounds with Hitler must surely qualify as one of the most degrading capitulations in history: under presure from the ruthless, the clueless combined with the spineless to achieve the worthless." :eek:

If I were to come up to you and start attacking you like a madman, armed to the teeth, somehow I doubt that negotiations or any other kind of "peaceful solution" would save you. Hell, would you even defend yourself? Or would you welcome the cut of my blade?
  • Options
    Yay, the return of Steelgate

Nice to see you back steelgate. It's been a long time since we've had any really stupid posts to respond to.

Just a thought, but don't you believe that the "people" have a right to choose how they live?

The Falklands continue to choose to be British, we should defend that right to self determination to the hilt.

And Vox, you go off the point just like every anti-war idealist that has ever existed. The point of the Falklands was British soil and that the residents of that land were having their sovreignty taken away from them undemocratically, and by force. We have a duty, as a nation, to protect our citizens from that. Or would you be happy with a foreign Govt marching their forces through London?

and a small reminder, but try to remember who fired the first shot. There is a difference between aggression and defence.
  • Options
    Re: Yay, the return of Steelgate
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    and a small reminder, but try to remember who fired the first shot. There is a difference between aggression and defence.

And, just before anyone dares to say that by sailing a Task Force half way around the world we were the aggressors, might I recall the following dicta to memory:

"The best defence is a good offence."

"Counter-attack!"

Moreover, before some idiot suggests that the sinking of the General Belgrano was criminal, since she was at the time of her demise outside the Total Exclusion Zone, might I remind people that the declaration of the TEZ was a political convenience anyway, designed to prevent a full-scale declaration of war.

(Incidentally, while the sinking of the Belgrano was not criminal, and was militarily very wise, it was a loss to history: as the U.S.S. Phoenix, the Belgrano was a survivor of Pearl Harbour.)
  • Options
    Glad to see a nice 'ol debate in my absence. Welcome back steely. *grins evilly*

Falklands were worth it.

It proved that Britain would defend the rights of its citizens; people who had determined that it was what they wanted to be (self determination).

It proved that the military could still operate, even at massive range from home.

It proved that the men and women of our Armed Services are as brave, resourceful, and as deadly as they have ever been.

It also proved that you can't take on a major regional power and win.

Incidentally, I know the gentleman, Air Vice Marshal Peter Beer, who commanded the Falkland detachment at some point during his career, and debated this issue with him. I think he thinks it's worth it, too...
  • Options
    hey, i know this is an old post but i thought with it being 25 years this weekend it might be a good idea to reopen this Debate?
  • Options
    You could have started another.
  • Options
    Who was Stealgate ?
  • Options
    Steelgate (also known as Derek or Angus) is a nutcase who hangs around bulletin boards and occasionally the free party/festival scene and left wing and anarchist groups. He's one dodgy cunt who thinks that raping a woman is justified if a man needs a shag.
  • Options
    Regular prat. He was ultra-left and quite along way off base.

He thought that rape by someone who hadn't had sex for a while was no different to a hungry man stealing bread. It's what got him the permanent ban...
  • Options
    Ah right. Ta.
  • Options
    Regular prat. He was ultra-left and quite along way off base.

Most left groups are aware of him and won't have anything to do with him.
  • Options
    Better to start a new thread tbh...
This discussion has been closed.