Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Meat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry veggies, this topic probably isn't for you.

Right, I'll admit I'm fairly carniverous - if a meal doesn't have meat in it doesn't feel like a meal.
I've tried feeling guilty about eating little animals and so on, but to be honest I just can't - and I think it's just part of the food chain really. And it just tastes too good.

What I wanted to know from you other meat lovers is how you feel about eating certain parts of animals.
E.g. I know a lot of people are disgusted by haggis even though they eat other meat.
And I've never quite understood it... Surely it doesn't make much difference what part of an animal you're eating so long as it tastes nice?

Like, ages ago there was a big hoohar about what McDonnalds chicken nuggarts were made of before they started using breast meat.
I never quite understood that either... Surely if it's safe to eat it doesn't matter what they've made it from?

Just wanted to know people's thoughts really.
And if anyone's every tried any unusual meats and stuff?

Comments

• Options
    i agree with you, if its safe enought to eat then surely it doesnt matter if its eyeballs and arseholes? lol

im love meat, im a huge fan of it and i dont much like vegetarian food [though ill give it a go] and i hade fake meat, Quorn especially!

to be honest when im eating meat i dont connect it to furyy little animals etc, it seems detached from it somehow, like as soon as its dead, its not a cute little sheep/pig/cow anymore - its food.

its only natural, humans are omnivores - we eat both, its part of the way we work. So on that idea i dont agree with vegetarianism, though i respect it as a personal choice. Alot of my friends are veggie/vegan and as long as they dont ram it down my throat i respect them.

only a slightly hyporcritical note - i refuse to eat duck lol, because i love ducks! haha! its my flaw im only human! lol

the only unusual meat i can think of that ive tried is an Ostrich burger and ive also eaten shark. but other than that nothing odd really.

i love seeing people's reaction when they ask me if i eat meat as i can only best describe my 'look' as hippy lol, i have dreads and wear floral and flip-flops etc. people just assume youre vegan [alot of my dreadie friends are] but i very rarely fit any strerotype lol
  • Options
    I've eaten cows tongue before, that was pretty nice to be honest.
  • Options
    Ive eaten the meat from just about anything with more than 2 legs ^^

Personally there is not bit of an animal i would not eat if it was prepared properly and not the crap you see on I'm A Calebrity with them eating uncooked raw kangaroo bollocks. If you ate a raw burger you would probably retch just the same.

The problem i have with stuff like kidneys, hearts etc is it gets very biological if you cut the wrong place - heart ventricles/veins and things you saw once as a kid in biology - after preparing kidneys I could never ever eat it again.
    When meat is diced and whirled into anrecognisable pulp like a chicken nugget its fine - its not like they kill chickens just to extract the claws and arsehole for chicken nuggets so they may as well use every bit.

The meats I refuse to eat are:
    Lamb Chops - too much fat and gristle and sinew for a 10p sized bit of meat.
    Foie Gras: Cruel to the animal for no reason.
    White Veal: See Foie Gras.
    Spare Ribs: Dogs chew on bones for meat, I am not a dog.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of eating insects, but don't dislike them.

From what I remember like tongue, but can't bear the thought of eating it.

I can't stand the smell of kidneys being cooked, but I really like them.

I wouldn't want to eat the meat from a cat, and find any vertibrate smaller than a pidgeon too fidly to bother with.
  • Options
    Foie Gras: Cruel to the animal for no reason.
    White Veal: See Foie Gras.

What about battery-farmed chickens? No more cruel if you ask me. Plus foie gras and veal taste phenomenal whereas said chickens taste foul (no pun intended).

I will eat anything. Though I am an animal lover (countryside born and bred), I have little trouble in dis-associating meat consumption with my love for animals. This may strike you as double standards but I have no qualms about it.

Strangest thing I've ever eaten were either chicken hearts at the very awesome Brazilian barbeque place in Bayswater or cow brain in Russia, which was delicious.
  • Options
    i dont like offal, apart from haggis. Kidney, liver, the texture makes me gag, and i think kidney tastes and smells of wee, even when done properly. I think its probably psychological.
    Tongue - eeew, no thanks.

I like haggis though, but thats cos its all mashed up
  • Options
    i hate foie gras too, yuck yuck yuck. Will eat veal though
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I lkove meet and I'll give anything a go. As long as its safe to eat I dont mind where it comes from! Look how many eat kebabs on a weekend, hardly A class meat there!
  • Options
    My Nan likes Ox's tongue. I think it is horrible. :yuck:
    And
    My Mum has eaten a Chickens foot, again horrible. :yuck:

But I do like meat. I do mind where it comes from I don't know why I just do.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    I've eaten cows tongue before, that was pretty nice to be honest.

I picture it being all red and squishy :P